Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP (Skadden) has forged a reputation as one of the most prestigious law firms in the world by relying on innovation, intellect, teamwork and tenacity to deliver the highest quality advice and novel solutions to our clients' legal issues. By relying on innovation, intellect, teamwork and tenacity, our lawyers deliver the highest quality advice and novel solutions to our clients' legal issues. We are recognized as a global powerhouse for complex transactions, litigation/controversy issues, and regulatory matters, as well as for the open, collaborative relationships we build with clients. Our attorneys, who reflect diverse backgrounds and perspectives, collaborate seamlessly across 50-plus practices and 21 offices in the world’s major financial centers.
Skadden is looking for a Managing Attorney to oversee the Managing Law Clerks department. This position is the primary contact between the Firm’s attorneys and the courts, and will manage the docket clerk function and provide substantive procedural guidance to attorneys in the Firm.
- Provides expertise and guidance on court procedures, proper form for service or filing in state or federal courts, and provides advice to attorneys and others as necessary.
- Implements and manages effective practices and procedures and ensures compliance with procedural state, federal and appellate court rules.
- Performs legal research and provides guidance on federal and state rules of practice and procedure with attorneys.
- Remains abreast and reviews new cases and rule changes to ensure that lawyers are kept apprised of recent developments.
- Oversees work assignments performed in the office, and in various courts and other offices including retrieval, service and filing of legal papers.
- Ensures attorneys are promptly notified of filing deadlines and court appearances.
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with court personnel.
- Oversees and directs the department's use of PACER, the on-line federal records access program, and E-law, the state court records access program, and ensures that daily searches of these programs are performed.
- Ensures that court records are checked daily for decisions, orders or judgments in pending litigation actions, and that copies are promptly obtained and distributed to attorneys involved.
- Ensures accurate and timely responses to requests for departmental services.
- Oversees the department's daily docket/calendar requirements and department's e-Docs docketing program.
- Oversees department projects, day-to-day operations and long-range plans.
- Monitors time, attendance, overtime, and expense reports to ensure accuracy and compliance with firm policies.
- Ensures current knowledge of firm policies and practices for staff, current knowledge of industry trends, and continued professional development for staff.
- Participates in the interviewing, selection and training process.
- Effectively utilizes the Firm's performance management process to communicate performance expectations, monitor performance, coach employees, and manage unsatisfactory performance.
- Oversees employees' work performance and provides guidance in the resolution of problems.
- Initiates disciplinary procedures in collaboration with the Human Resources Department.
- Recommends guidelines and practices to promote efficiency, effectiveness, excellent customer service and improved employee relations, in alignment with the Firm's Core Values.
- Develops and communicates departmental guidelines and procedures.
- Engages in strategic (i.e., long-range) planning by developing departmental goals and supporting objectives for assigned department(s).
- Forecasts financial and budget requirements for the department, prepares related reports, and monitors the budget.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., PACER, E-law, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Knowledge of docketing software
- Strong knowledge of federal and state rules and procedures and statutory requirements for service of summons', subpoenas and other papers
- Strong knowledge of clerk's offices of local, state and federal area courts
- Strong knowledge of docketing and calendar practice, and electronic filing
- Current knowledge of industry best practices, trends and techniques
- Knowledge and implementation of the annual budget process
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational, and planning skills
- Strong management and leadership skills
- Ability to administer Firm policies and procedures
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and delegate effectively
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Ability to use discretion and exercise independent and sound judgment
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Flexibility to travel
- Juris Doctor from an ABA-accredited law school
- Admission to New York State Bar Admission and in good standing
- Minimum of eight years related law firm experience or Litigation Attorney
The starting base salary for this New York position is expected to be $300,000 annually. Actual salary will be determined based on skills, experience (to the extent relevant) and other-job related factors, consistent with applicable law.
Culture & Life at Skadden
What makes Skadden special is our people and the culture, community and spirit of collaboration we have created. We believe in teamwork and inspiring each other to be our best in an atmosphere that promotes professionalism and excellence in all that we do. We know that inclusion, equity and drawing on the strength of a wide spectrum of diverse talent only make us better and is vital to the firm's success. Our goal is for everyone at the firm to enjoy a challenging career with opportunities for development and growth and to support the well-being of our attorneys and professional staff.
The overall well-being of our team is important to us. We offer generous benefits to help you achieve wellness in all areas of your life.
- Competitive salaries and year-end discretionary bonuses.
- Comprehensive health care (medical, dental, vision), savings plan/401(k) and voluntary benefits.
- Generous paid time off.
- Paid leave options, including parental.
- In-classroom, remote, and on-demand learning and professional development opportunities.
- Robust well-being classes and programs.
- Opportunities to give back and make an impact in local communities.
For further details, please visit: https://www.skadden.com/careers/staff/employee-benefits
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073 or email@example.com.
Skadden EEO and Affirmative Action Policy
Applicants Have Rights Under Federal Employment Law
In accordance with the Transparency in Coverage Rule, click here to review machine-readable files made available by UnitedHealthcare.