This position supports Firm's public relations group on various initiatives by: building and maintaining relationships with legal trade reporters and other business press; monitoring Firm news and business trends; assisting with directories and awards projects; and handling research projects related to PR activities.
- Handles media relations activities in connection with various matters handled by the Firm.
- Assists in the review of the daily media sweep of Firm mentions in the press.
- Monitors for media coverage mentioning, related to and/or of interest to Firm partners.
- Places bylined articles and submits Firm-authored client mailings for republication with various outlets.
- Conducts research on media outlets and reporters to aid in outreach and to prepare partners for press interviews.
- Develops media lists for use in targeted pitches and general outreach concerning Firm matters and initiatives.
- Assists in handling client- and topic-specific media analysis and other research projects.
- Identifies and develops potential thought leadership topics.
- Assists with tracking of media-related activities.
- Drafts directory and award submissions, including working with various firm departments to gather and share relevant information with appropriate marketing staff.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Strong familiarity with legal marketplace and professional services firm operations
- Interacts effectively and appropriately with reporters, partners, senior administrative staff and peers
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational, and planning skills
- Flexible self-starter with a desire to work in both strategic and hands-on capacities
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Ability to use discretion and exercise independent and sound judgment
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Ability to treat sensitive and confidential matters with discretion
- Flexibility to adjust hours to meet operating needs
- Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum of two years PR/media relations experience, preferably within a law firm setting
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.