We are seeking a Professional Development Manager to join our Firm in our New York office (hybrid). This role will be responsible for managing a full range of professional development and staffing activities for a given practice area(s). Works within the Global Attorney Development team and collaborates with the Practice Leader, Staffing Partner and Attorney Development Partner to facilitate the successful implementation of the Firm's associate development objectives at the practice level. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Build trust and credibility with partners and counsel.
- Develop a professional relationship with each associate, including an in-depth understanding of professional aspirations, experiences, strengths, development needs, and relevant personal circumstances.
- Monitor associate development to promote progress along the practice area's desired developmental trajectory and follow-up on development plans.
- Work closely with Diversity, Equity and Inclusion department to carry out Firm objectives and support practice group inclusion initiatives.
- Recommend the Firm's career resources as appropriate and facilitate forward progress on exit strategies.
- Manage associate and counsel review and evaluation process (e.g. collect feedback, convene department meeting to review files, prepare performance summaries, work collaboratively with partners in determining department messages, draft messages and participate in the review meetings) for the practice with the Attorney Development team.
- Promote participation in all required CLE programs.
- Participate in defining the overall training agenda for practice area and coordinate training to meet identified development needs.
- Work with Partners to create a fair and comparable level of utilization across the department and to provide attorneys with the opportunity to work on a variety of matters and with a variety of partners, while balancing development opportunities with client needs.
- Maintain consistency of experiences and equitable distribution of assignments across the practice area. Monitor high-end and low end of utilization and intervene as appropriate.
- Track vacation schedules to ensure that plans are in place for coverage.
- Cull and synthesize information for practice leader, including missing time, status of reviews, and distribution of workload.
- Monitors critical attorney utilization metrics and provides weekly report to practice department partners.
- Manage information flow in the required systems and policy compliance, e.g., bar admission status updates, mentor assignments, time recording compliance.
- Work on a variety of ad hoc projects as needed.
- Organize group events and team building activities.
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manage Firm resources responsibly.
- Comply with and understand Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational, and planning skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Proven project management skills
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work under pressure and conflicting circumstances
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Ability to use discretion and exercise independent and sound judgment
- Strong interest and experience in professional development
- Strong demonstrated leadership
- Flexibility to travel as needed
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum of three years of professional development experience at a professional services firm
The starting base salary for this New York position is expected to be between $160,000 to $180,000 annually. Actual salary will be determined based on skills, experience (to the extent relevant) and other-job related factors, consistent with applicable law.
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP (Skadden) has forged a reputation as one of the most prestigious law firms in the world. By relying on innovation, intellect, teamwork and tenacity, our lawyers deliver the highest quality advice and novel solutions to our clients' legal issues. We are recognized as a global powerhouse for complex transactions, litigation/controversy issues, and regulatory matters, as well as for the open, collaborative relationships we build with clients. Our attorneys, who reflect diverse backgrounds and perspectives, collaborate seamlessly across 50-plus practices and 21 offices in the world’s major financial centers.
Culture & Life at Skadden
What makes Skadden special is our people and the culture, community and spirit of collaboration we have created. We believe in teamwork and inspiring each other to be our best in an atmosphere that promotes professionalism and excellence in all that we do. We know that inclusion, equity and drawing on the strength of a wide spectrum of diverse talent only make us better and is vital to the firm's success. Our goal is for everyone at the firm to enjoy a challenging career with opportunities for development and growth and to support the well-being of our attorneys and professional staff.
The overall well-being of our team is important to us. We offer generous benefits to help you achieve wellness in all areas of your life.
- Competitive salaries and year-end discretionary bonuses.
- Comprehensive health care (medical, dental, vision), savings plan/401(k) and voluntary benefits.
- Generous paid time off.
- Paid leave options, including parental.
- In-classroom, remote, and on-demand learning and professional development opportunities.
- Robust well-being classes and programs.
- Opportunities to give back and make an impact in local communities.
For further details, please visit: https://www.skadden.com/careers/staff/employee-benefits
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073 or email@example.com.