Interested in joining a team of professionals who are smart, motivated and dedicated to supporting the firm and each other? Skadden – known for approaching our clients' most complex matters with innovative and creative thinking – is hiring a Retirement Benefits Generalist to join the Benefits department. This position supports the administrative operations and analysis of the Firm’s qualified retirement plans (Savings Plan (401k), Retirement Plan, and Cash Balance Plan) including routine daily, monthly, quarterly and annual administrative functions, communications and data management. This role also serves as a resource to all Partners, attorneys, professional staff, and is responsible for responding to outside vendors inquiries and processes all retirement benefits related requests in a timely and accurate manner. The Retirement Benefits Generalist will assist the department with a variety of responsibilities relating to specific benefits projects to ensure the services, goals, and objectives of the department are being met. This role will be responsible to provide high quality and on-time delivery of benefit administration services with optimal customer service.
- Provides timely support for all Partners, attorneys, professional staff, and outside vendors with respect to the Firm's qualified retirement plans.
- Responds to and resolves participant inquiries.
- Works with vendors to address participant inquiries.
- Leads new hire orientations.
- Supports managing the department’s email and voice mail box and responding to inquiries regarding the retirement plans.
- Assists with the distribution of all required communications and special ad hoc communications (e.g., mailings, email).
- Supports the administration of the Firm's Savings Plan (401k), Cash Balance Plan (DB) and Retirement Plan (DC) including:
- the maintenance, security and integrity of benefits data.
- the management of all participant records both-in house and off-site.
- the timely and accurate completion of routine projects, including but not limited to: catch-up contribution processes, 402g excess contribution refunds, NHCE determinations, semi-annual determination of qualified retirement plans’ eligibility, retirement benefits mailings (e.g. annual statements, investment changes, QDIA, SARs).
- the reconciliation of the bi-weekly and semi-monthly payrolls with respect to Savings Plan contributions and assists with rectifying any discrepancies through the preparation of payroll adjustments. Assists with Partner Savings Plan monthly contribution funding process.
- the annual audits of the Savings Plan, Cash Balance Plan and Retirement Plan.
- the weekly processing of new hires and Savings Plan deferral changes.
- the review and audit of various monthly reports including but not limited to: distribution reports, beneficiary reports, Savings Plan under $5K, Required Minimum Distribution (RMD), Hardship Withdrawal.
- creating and analyzing monthly integration file to determine employee and Partner terminations.
- the processing of monthly terminations including the preparation and distribution of participant communications.
- the processing of all qualified retirement plans' distributions including the review of participant completed election forms, the preparation and mailing of distribution confirmation notices.
- auditing returned mail and researching lost participants. Updates addresses for former employees in Workday and communicates address changes related to Savings Plan participants to record keeper.
- creating and maintaining all qualified retirement plan participants' electronic and paper files and annual administration files including filing all relevant documents. Organizes and maintains various documents within the Firm's document management system.
- auditing participants' qualified retirement plan files for valid beneficiary designation forms, solicits participants for completed beneficiary designation forms and scans/maintains forms in document database.
- assisting with the preparation of annual Savings Plan processing schedules.
- Ensures adherence to all plan documents and applicable IRS regulations.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of Defined Contribution (DC) and Defined Benefit (DB) plans.
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills.
- Pays attention to detail and high data accuracy.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Positive attitude and excellent customer service skills.
- Strong computer skills; high proficiency in Outlook, PowerPoint, MS Word and MS Excel (with extensive experience in and knowledge of formulas and functions, VLOOKUP, INDEX/MATCH, pivot tables and charts, If statements, etc.).
- Knowledge of Benefits field and procedures.
- Strong organizational skills including the ability to handle multiple tasks and shifting priorities.
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team.
- Ability to read, interpret and follow instructions.
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment and take direction from senior departmental staff.
- Flexibility to adjust hours necessary to meet operating and business needs.
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of three years defined contribution and/or defined benefit related administrative experience.
- Workday experience
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP has forged a reputation as one of the most prestigious law firms in the world. Relying on innovation, intellect, teamwork and tenacity, our lawyers deliver the highest quality advice and novel solutions to our clients’ legal issues. We are known for handling the most complex transactions, litigation/controversy issues, and regulatory matters, as well as for the open, collaborative relationships we build with clients and each other. Our attorneys and professional staff, who reflect diverse backgrounds and perspectives, work together seamlessly across 21 offices in the world’s major financial centers.
Culture & Life at Skadden
We are proud to have built a team of professionals who are smart, motivated and dedicated to supporting each other. We invest substantial time and effort in hiring and training our teams and recognize that capable and committed people are a valuable asset to the firm. Our goal at Skadden is for everyone to enjoy a challenging career with opportunities for development and growth.
The overall well-being of our team is important to us. We offer generous benefits to help you achieve wellness in all areas of your life.
- Competitive salaries and year-end discretionary bonuses.
- Comprehensive healthcare (medical, dental, vision), savings plan/401(k), and voluntary benefits.
- Generous PTO.
- Paid leave options, including parental.
- In-classroom, remote, and on-demand learning & professional development opportunities.
- Robust well-being classes and programs.
- Opportunities to give back and make an impact in local communities.
For further details, please visit: https://www.skadden.com/careers/staff/employee-benefits
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073 or email@example.com.