Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP (Skadden) has forged a reputation as one of the most prestigious law firms in the world by relying on innovation, intellect, teamwork and tenacity to deliver the highest quality advice and novel solutions to our clients' legal issues. By relying on innovation, intellect, teamwork and tenacity, our lawyers deliver the highest quality advice and novel solutions to our clients' legal issues. We are recognized as a global powerhouse for complex transactions, litigation/controversy issues, and regulatory matters, as well as for the open, collaborative relationships we build with clients. Our attorneys, who reflect diverse backgrounds and perspectives, collaborate seamlessly across 50-plus practices and 21 offices in the world’s major financial centers.
We are seeking a Senior Legal Assistant - Corporate Restructuring to join our Firm. Within this position, you will be responsible for assisting the Corporate Restructuring practice area attorneys and case teams in all phases and aspects of Corporate Restructuring work including bankruptcy cases and out-of-court corporate reorganization. This position will be based in our New York office and has a hybrid in-office/remote working schedule.
As the Senior Legal Assistant Specialist – Corporate Restructuring you will:
- Assist attorneys throughout all phases of mega chapter 11 cases, chapter 15 cases, and appeals.
- Assist in preparation, and handling, of bankruptcy e-filings and service of court papers.
- Draft notices, hearing agendas, and other basic documents.
- Prepare hearing binders/e-binders and other supporting materials for court.
- Assist with all aspects of hearing preparation.
- Provide support for in-house case-related meetings such as auctions and depositions, and assists with preparation for outside meetings.
- Prepare and manage first-day filing checklists.
- Assist with preparation of fee applications.
- Monitor case dockets and circulates case filings.
- Track deadlines in complex cases for planning purposes.
- Monitor federal and local bankruptcy forms for periodic revisions and updates firm working versions.
- Assist with attorney court admissions, manages PACER and ECF accounts, and maintains virtual hearing accounts.
- Monitor changes to federal and local rules, and requirements of the United States Trustee’s office, and keeps informed of changes to court procedures.
- Communicate with court clerks and chambers staff on case matters.
- Research and retrieve precedent motions, disclosure statements, and plans.
- Assist team with conflicts-of-interest tasks for new matters.
- Review and research unidentified bankruptcy-related mail.
- Perform non-legal research using various research tools, including the Internet, Westlaw, LexisNexis, PACER, and other court-related websites for case law, statutes, articles, and books.
- Oversee the organization and accuracy of documents and data in electronic databases including: managing case materials, indexing, and coding information.
- Ensure that all Corporate Restructuring files are maintained with department-approved protocols and case management systems.
- Extensive knowledge of the United States Bankruptcy Code and the Federal Rules of Bankruptcy Procedure
- Ability to maintain current knowledge of local bankruptcy rules for the Southern District of New York
- Extensive practice in handling e-filings, including ECF filing requirements for pre-filing and post-filing of mega chapter 11 cases
- Familiar with Claims and Noticing Agent websites, and filings on same
- Extensive knowledge of bankruptcy appeals process
- Knowledge of Chapter 13 and 15 filing and procedures
- Ability to navigate various electronic databases and document repositories
- Strong research skills and proficiency in using various research tools
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational, and planning skills
- Flexibility to travel as required
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of six years’ experience in a Corporate Restructuring legal assistant position or a position requiring similar skillset
Culture & Life at Skadden
What makes Skadden special is our people and the culture, community, and spirit of collaboration we have created. We believe in teamwork and inspiring each other to be our best in an atmosphere that promotes professionalism and excellence in all that we do. We know that inclusion, equity, and drawing on the strength of a wide spectrum of diverse talent only make us better and is vital to the Firm's success. Our goal is for everyone at the Firm to enjoy a challenging career with opportunities for development and growth and to support the well-being of our attorneys and professional staff.
The overall well-being of our team is important to us. We offer generous benefits to help you achieve wellness in all areas of your life.
- Competitive salaries and year-end discretionary bonuses.
- Comprehensive health care (medical, dental, vision), savings plan/401(k), and voluntary benefits.
- Generous paid time off.
- Paid leave options, including parental.
- In-classroom, remote, and on-demand learning and professional development opportunities.
- Robust well-being classes and programs.
- Opportunities to give back and make an impact in local communities.
For further details, please visit: https://www.skadden.com/careers/staff/employee-benefits
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073 or email@example.com.