Skadden is looking for a Senior Legal Assistant who will be responsible for providing advanced, complex support and assistance to attorneys in the Real Estate Department in all stages of real estate transactions. Serve as a resource for attorneys, members of the Legal Assistant Services department and professional staff, in relation to specialized deal team practices. Requires strong organization skills, attention to detail, initiative and strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Assists in drafting, summarizing, managing and organizing documents related to real estate transactions.
- Handles title and survey review, including the preparation of title and survey summaries.
- Coordinates ordering of UCC searches and prepares summaries of search results.
- Manages and coordinates closings, including addressing post-closing matters and oversees preparation of closing CDs.
- Proofreads transactional documents, and performs cross-reference and defined terms checks.
- Demonstrates advanced proficiency in real estate department best practices.
- Serves as a task-specific resource for attorneys, legal assistants and professional staff.
- Performs non-legal research using various research tools, including the Internet, Westlaw, LexisNexis, PACER, SEC/EDGAR and other court-related websites for case law, statutes, articles, books, etc.
- Conducts research and offers guidance to attorneys and members of the Department.
- Ensures that all files are maintained within Firm-approved protocols and case management systems.
- Maintains the integrity of client files.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or needed.
- In-depth understanding of task-specific concepts and procedures
- Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Ability to substantively navigate various electronic databases and document repositories
- Strong research skills and proficiency in using various research tools
- Strong proficiency in title and survey review
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational and planning skills
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrates accountability and takes ownership of projects
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Demonstrates attention to detail
- Flexibility to travel as required
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of six (6) years of real estate experience in a legal assistant position and proficiency in title and survey review
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, please note that all newly-hired personnel in the United States must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of employment.