Responsible for researching and providing information, analysis and expertise to attorneys and staff in all practice areas of the Firm. Analyzes legal, corporate and general resources and communicates findings in a clear and concise manner. Coordinates current awareness alerts and works with Knowledge Strategy Counsel to develop and maintain selected practice area databases and websites. Will also assist with the evaluation and recommendation of new information resources.
- Supports complex research and Knowledge Management (KM) initiatives for Firm attorneys and staff across the globe, incorporating new technology.
- Performs cost efficient ready reference and in-depth research on legal, corporate and other topics using online and print resources.
- Uses question and answer skills to conduct effective reference interviews.
- Distills research results into clear and concise reports of findings.
- Creates and maintains current awareness alert services.
- Works independently and with the Knowledge Strategy (KS) team and selected practice areas to choose, collect, organize, maintain, and update content for practice area websites and databases.
- Disseminates knowledge resources via Firm wide intranet and databases to attorneys.
- Collaborates with practice group leaders and other attorneys to design effective KS websites and databases.
- Establishes relationships with attorneys to promote awareness of KS initiatives and to solicit their participation.
- Assists with evaluating new and updated versions of information resources, both online and print, and recommends beneficial information sources for the Firm.
- Develops information network within and outside the Firm.
- Monitors email on Firm issued mobile device while out of the office and during off hours and coordinates with staff in NY and other offices to complete pending requests.
- Uses workflow software for the distribution and recording of research and KM requests.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Assists other department staff members when needed.
- Expertise in using computer-based research tools: Lexis, Westlaw, Bloomberg Terminal, Bloomberg Law, Intelligize, Securities Mosaic, Practical Law, Fastcase, PLI, Capital IQ, Deal Point Data, CCH Cheetah, SNL and more
- Broad and thorough knowledge of legal, business and financial information sources
- Current awareness of knowledge and information technology developments
- Thorough competency with relevant Firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Knowledge of Firm operation, policies and procedures
- Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Demonstrates a courteous and professional demeanor and prioritizes a highly positive, customer-service approach
- Proven ability in using WYSIWYG web page editors
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to use discretion and exercise independent and sound judgment
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Master's Degree in Library Science or equivalent experience (minimum of eight years)
- Minimum of six years' experience conducting research in a legal setting, preferably in a law firm environment
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, physical or mental disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.