Oversees the daily operations of the department including coordinating workflow, processing accounts payable transactions, reconciling accounts, and maintaining databases. Assists with office budget process to include analysis of monthly department variance reports. Handles department assignments and special projects as needed.
- Codes and processes invoices utilizing accounting software, obtains and verifies appropriate approvals, and allocates expenses as appropriate.
- Responds to inquiries as needed and follows up on past due notices.
- Reviews, signs, and processes accounting system sessions up to pre-determined amount.
- Processes petty cash checks for filing fees and miscellaneous operating expenses while ensuring appropriate documentation and approval.
- Maintains database of checks written and conducts monthly reconciliation of filing fees and checking accounts.
- Reconciles Palo Alto accounts, vendor reserve accounts, client escrow accounts, parking hang tag and parking inventory accounts, and commuter check accounts.
- Processes transactions and internal disbursements as needed.
- Distributes parking hang tags and commuter checks monthly; works with Attorney Development and Human Resources to administer both programs.
- Generates monthly parking reports and annual car service reports for monthly and annual closing of accounts.
- Assists with department budget queries; reviews variances for specific departments against budget, identifies improper coding, answers questions from the budget department and managers directly and requests transfers as needed.
- Creates and maintains vendor and department files.
- Conducts department orientation for new hires.
- Assists with special projects as needed.
- Prepares annual budget spreadsheets and enters data for annual budget review under the direction of the Office Administrator.
- Performs frequent physical exertion including: sitting, repetitive use of both hands, lifting and carrying up to 10 pounds.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective working relationships with others.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Office Suite; advanced knowledge of MS Excel preferred
- Experience with Aderant Accounting system preferred
- Ability to learn the Firm’s operations, policies, and procedures
- Ability to handle complex issues and duties requiring logic, reasoning skills, interpretation, and judgment to solve problems
- Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems (e.g., Firm’s Accounting software)
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet the operating and business needs
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Minimum of four years’ experience with accounting related functions
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.
Skadden will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.