Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP (Skadden) has forged a reputation as one of the most prestigious law firms in the world by relying on innovation, intellect, teamwork and tenacity to deliver the highest quality advice and novel solutions to our clients' legal issues. By relying on innovation, intellect, teamwork and tenacity, our lawyers deliver the highest quality advice and novel solutions to our clients' legal issues. We are recognized as a global powerhouse for complex transactions, litigation/controversy issues, and regulatory matters, as well as for the open, collaborative relationships we build with clients. Our attorneys, who reflect diverse backgrounds and perspectives, collaborate seamlessly across 50-plus practices and 21 offices in the world’s major financial centers.
Interested in joining a team of professionals who are smart, motivated and dedicated to supporting the firm and each other? We are seeking an Assistant Director of Marketing (Business Development) and Communications (senior level) to join our Firm. This position is based in our Palo Alto office (hybrid). In this role, you will be responsible for planning and supporting the Palo Alto office's marketing and communications initiatives, with an emphasis on business development and practice development activities. You will collaborate with department members globally, with a focus on cross-continent marketing by Palo Alto and Asia offices. You will direct the Palo Alto department staff and oversee the marketing budget.
- Engage in strategic marketing, communications and business development planning with Palo Alto office leader, partners and the Chief and Director of Global Marketing and Communications, creating and implementing office- and practice-specific plans and follow-up programs.
- Prepare new business proposals, presentations and responses to requests for proposals (RFPs), which involve partners and practices from both the West Coast and across the Firm's global platform; conduct research for new business, competitive intelligence and industry trends, as needed.
- Assist multi-office groups of partners (pitch teams) in preparing for business generation meetings and making presentations.
- Conceive and manage all aspects of Palo Alto client educational events (seminars, webcasts and conferences), involving partners and practices globally for clients, collaborate with marketing leads in Europe and D.C., in particular, on these programs.
- Conceive and oversee other client-related events, activities and partnerships, such as those supporting diversity programming objectives.
- Regularly work with marketing teams across the globe on identifying, and executing on, cross-office initiatives.
- Develop innovative hard-copy and electronic marketing materials about Palo Alto partners/capabilities, including for firm website and intranet sections relating to the office. Edit and update materials as needed.
- Prepare Chambers and other awards/recognition submissions for Palo Alto attorneys and practices.
- Build relationships with local and regional press, pitch story ideas and manage press meetings and interviews.
- Identify speaking and thought leadership writing opportunities for partners and counsel.
- Manage the integration of new lateral and through-the-ranks partners by developing and executing tailored marketing plans.
- Prepare information for and manage monthly marketing/business development meetings with Palo Alto partners and counsel.
- Produce monthly office newsletter covering latest developments and make certain that PA office-related news receives internal as well as external publicity.
- Support local pro bono and affinity group activities in the Palo Alto office.
- Identify best practices, which can be adapted across offices.
- Forecast financial and budget requirements for office-wide marketing, communications and business development activities.
- Broad and thorough knowledge of professional services marketing/business development
- Excellent analytical, organizational and research skills, including ability to evaluate existing systems and create new ones
- Excellent writing skills with ability to synthesize data and accurately capture it in a narrative
- Strong listening and consultative skills
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational and planning skills
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment and handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of ten years marketing experience in a professional services environment
- Experience communicating with the press preferred
Culture & Life at Skadden
What makes Skadden special is our people and the culture, community and spirit of collaboration we have created. We believe in teamwork and inspiring each other to be our best in an atmosphere that promotes professionalism and excellence in all that we do. We know that inclusion, equity and drawing on the strength of a wide spectrum of diverse talent only make us better and is vital to the firm's success. Our goal is for everyone at the firm to enjoy a challenging career with opportunities for development and growth and to support the well-being of our attorneys and professional staff.
The overall well-being of our team is important to us. We offer generous benefits to help you achieve wellness in all areas of your life.
- Competitive salaries and year-end discretionary bonuses.
- Comprehensive health care (medical, dental, vision), savings plan/401(k) and voluntary benefits.
- Generous paid time off.
- Paid leave options, including parental.
- In-classroom, remote, and on-demand learning and professional development opportunities.
- Robust well-being classes and programs.
- Opportunities to give back and make an impact in local communities.
For further details, please visit: https://www.skadden.com/careers/staff/employee-benefits
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.
Skadden will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, please note that all newly-hired personnel in the United States must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of employment.