This position will perform diversified secretarial and administrative support for attorneys.
- Answers, screens, and places telephone calls. Directs calls and assists callers as appropriate.
- Maintains attorneys' calendars and schedules.
- Maintains client/case calendar and plans ahead for critical deadlines.
- Arranges and coordinates meetings with clients and others.
- Coordinates attorneys' travel plans working interactively with travel vendor.
- Opens, reads, and routes mail, email and other deliveries as directed.
- Prepares correspondence, documents, reports, and spreadsheets.
- Drafts and formats pleadings, agreements, or other legal documents as requested.
- Prepares attorney time records, expense reports, and check requests.
- Provides quality control by proofreading all work for accuracy and completeness.
- Generates and maintains regular and follow-up files and confidential data.
- Maintains attorney, client, and case files, records, and contact lists.
- Enters contact information and data into InterAction or similar contact management database.
- Transcribes dictation from audiotape or handwritten notes.
- Creates binders and document indices.
- Organizes attorney office(s) and assigned case rooms, as appropriate.
- Prepares files and documents for off-site storage, utilizing appropriate indices, labeling, and appropriate database records management processes, such as the Skadden Records Management System.
- Provides backup secretarial support to other attorneys and/or other support departments, as requested, to include all forms of administrative and legal-specific support.
- Provides backup support and assistance to secretarial teammates, based on operational need.
- Provides collaborative secretarial team support to specific teams or groups of attorneys.
- Participates in required professional development and training courses in group settings and in self-paced individual training formats.
- Participates in and completes certification training in software and technical applications as required.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operations, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Working knowledge of legal terminology
- Understanding of the legal system and life cycle of legal work
- Understanding of attorney calendaring and scheduling, to include court calendaring requirements
- Proficiency with office equipment, such as personal computers, printers, copiers, scanners, multi-function devices, and multi-line telephones
- Knowledge of software applications (Microsoft Office platform to include Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), document management systems such as eDocs or similar systems, along with related legal utilities for redlining and creation of tables and indices
- Ability to liase and coordinate resources through other departments or third-party vendors
- Proficiency with time entry programs (such as DTE Axiom) and records management database software
- Proficiency with Firm's interfaces for administration of new clients/matters, conflicts checks, and related administrative processes
- Proficiency with Aderant, Chrome River, or other related software for check requests, expense reimbursement requests, and other related accounting inquiries
- Proficiency with basic mathematical functions
- Demonstrated proficiency with proofreading techniques
- Ability to read, listen, interpret and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to sit and stand, use hands repetitively, lift and carry up to 25 pounds.
- Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills and ability to communicate patiently, diplomatically, accurately and effectively both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrates concentration, alertness and close attention to detail
- Ability to handle multiple project, assignments, deadlines and shifting priorities/responsibilities
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with others in team settings
- Flexibility to adjust work schedule, and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- High school diploma or equivalent required; bachelor's degree preferred.
- Minimum of five years experience as a legal secretary to multiple attorneys within a large law firm environment.
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, physical or mental disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.
Skadden will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.