Leads the Palo Alto office's marketing and communications efforts, with an emphasis on supporting business and practice development activities and media relations. Works closely with the Los Angeles marketing and communications team as a coordinated West Coast presence, and with Marketing & Communications department members globally. Manages the Palo Alto Marketing and Communications Specialist.
- Works closely with the Palo Alto partners and West Coast Marketing & Communications Administrator to continue enhancing the profile of the office, its practices, partners and attorneys.
- Serves as backup for the West Coast Marketing & Communications Administrator across all functions.
- Produces innovative and compelling new business materials, including pitches, proposals and responses to RFPs, using applications such as InDesign and Microsoft Office.
- Conducts research for new business, competitive intelligence and industry trends, leveraging Firm resources.
- Monitors activities of and communicates with partners, counsel and senior associates regarding deals and significant rulings; promotes successes via appropriate internal and external channels.
- Conceives and manages all aspects of educational events, such as seminars, webcasts and conferences, and social events, with the assistance of team members and those of other departments, including arranging venue and catering services, coordinating invitations, producing materials and attending events when appropriate.
- Prepares Chambers and award-winning submissions for Palo Alto attorneys and practices.
- Builds relationships with local and regional press, pitches story ideas for partners to be quoted, and manages press meetings and interviews.
- Identifies speaking and thought leadership writing opportunities for partners and counsel and manages all requisite logistics.
- Assists with client-related activities and partnerships, such as those that support their diversity programming objectives.
- Manages the integration of new partners by developing and executing tailored marketing plans.
- Prepares information for and manages monthly marketing and business development meetings with partners and counsel.
- Supports internal communications with monthly newsletter covering latest developments.
- Manages and develops Palo Alto Specialist.
- In coordination with practice leaders, prepares and regularly updates Palo Alto office and practice area descriptions for Skadden.com and other marketing materials.
- Prepares and updates partner, counsel and associate biographies for the West Coast and other offices, as needed.
- Oversees partner contact list management in InterAction (CRM) for the purpose of Firm mailings and event invitations.
- Collaborates with Marketing Department members in other U.S. and international offices.
- Supports local pro bono and affinity group activities in the Palo Alto office.
- Oversees the preparation of annual departmental budgets.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Provides Specialist with direction on Firm standards (attendance, punctuality, professionalism, fairness, consistency and hands on approach to the job).
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Performs other relevant duties as assigned.
- Broad and thorough knowledge of professional services marketing/business development
- Knowledge of relevant Firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Excellent analytical, organizational and research skills, including ability to evaluate existing systems and create new ones
- Excellent writing skills with ability to synthesize data and accurately capture it in a narrative
- Strong listening and consultative skills
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational and planning skills
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to handle issues not covered by standard practices
- Ability to delegate effectively
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Ability to use discretion and exercise independent and sound judgment
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of ten years marketing experience in a professional services environment
- Experience communicating with the press
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073 or firstname.lastname@example.org.