Responsible for managing the strategic administration and daily operations of the Human Resources team and functions including professional staff performance management, employee relations, management coaching, training and development, recruitment and retention, policies, procedures and compliance, health and safety, and compensation. Liaises with the New York office Human Resources, Benefits and Payroll departments. Maintains a strategic partnership with department managers with regard to employee development, operational trends and employee engagement.
- Develops, shapes and strengthens organizational culture and employee engagement through innovative Human Resources programs in the areas of employee relations, recruiting, compensation administration, and training and development.
- Partners with the Chief Human Resources Officer, Office Administrative Director, Human Resources Regional Senior Manager, and department heads in the development, implementation and standardization of Firm policies and procedures and general operations of the Firm.
- Regularly provides Chief Human Resources Officer and Human Resources Regional Senior Manager with status updates concerning HR-related matters including, but not limited to, employee relations, discipline issues and office management concerns.
- Manages the daily activities of Human Resources.
Recruitment and Termination Process
- Facilitates new hire orientation, including benefits, as needed.
- Partners with the Chief Human Resources Officer, Office Administrative Director, and Human Resources Regional Senior Manager to oversee staffing recruitment activities, including establishing recruitment procedures and vendor relationships; reviewing and monitoring staffing requirements; conducting interviews, employment references and verifications.
- Manages employee terminations and conducts exit interviews, as necessary.
- Handles unemployment process, including representation at unemployment hearings, if necessary.
- Partners with the Chief Human Resources Officer, Office Administrative Director and Human Resources Regional Senior Manager to develop and evaluate training programs for professional staff. Consults with department heads on appropriate training needs for staff.
- Partners with Chief Human Resources Officer, Office Administrative Director and Human Resources Regional Senior Manager on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion programs for the professional staff/office.
- In collaboration with the Chief Human Resources Officer, Office Administrative Director and Human Resources Regional Senior Manager, directs, develops and administers professional staff performance management.
- Oversees annual performance appraisal process, manages performance evaluation online system and coaches and counsels managers and supervisors in creating substantive staff performance evaluations and performance improvement plans when needed.
- Effectively utilizes the Firm's performance management process to communicate performance expectations, monitor performance, coach employees, and manage unsatisfactory performance.
- Manages the compensation process in collaboration with the Chief Human Resources Officer, the Office Administrative Director and Human Resources Regional Senior Manager.
- Manages the discipline process, including documentation and follow up.
- Consults with Chief Human Resources Officer, Office Administrative Director and Human Resources Regional Senior Manager on advanced discipline issues and involuntary terminations.
- Conducts internal investigations in collaboration with Chief Human Resources Officer, Office Administrative Director and Human Resources Regional Senior Manager.
- Provides employee relations coaching and counseling to managers. Manages employee relations concerns.
- Manages all leaves of absence programs, including disability, FMLA and LOA; performs HRIS data entry, in collaboration with Human Resources Regional Senior Manager, the Firm's Administration & Leave Supervisor, and Benefits and Payroll departments to resolve issues.
- Manages the accommodation process in accordance with ADA standards in collaboration with Human Resources Regional Senior Manager, the Firm's Administration & Leave Supervisor.
- Manages employee status changes, transfers and promotions in collaboration with Chief Human Resources Officer, Office Administrative Director and Human Resources Regional Senior Manager.
Policies and Procedures
- Liaises with Firm HR Professionals and Office Administrative Director to coordinate consistency across all offices' practices, policies and procedures.
- In collaboration with the Chief Human Resources Officer, Office Administrative Director, Human Resources Regional Senior Manager, and Firm Counsel, responds to various federal and state employment law compliance agencies, as necessary.
- Maintains current knowledge of federal and state employment and wage and hour laws.
- Assures that Firm employment, safety, employee relations and equal opportunity policies and practices comply with applicable provisions of federal and state labors laws, including appropriate record keeping and file maintenance.
- Consults with labor attorneys, as needed.
- In collaboration with the Chief Human Resources Officer, Office Administrative Director and Human Resources Regional Senior Manager, develops programs, policies, procedures and controls regarding employment activities; analyzes staffing, attrition, productivity and other employment statistics.
- Utilizes and maintains HRIS system in evaluating employee and headcount data.
- In collaboration with Human Resources Regional Senior Manager, regularly interfaces with the Human Resources, Payroll and Benefits departments in the New York office in order to appropriately administer Firm policies.
- Plans employee social and recreational events including Staff Appreciation Day and philanthropic activities.
- Assists with office projects and matters such as facility-related issues, maintenance requests, emergency preparedness, office renovations, etc., as applicable.
- In collaboration with Office Administrative Director, Accounting Coordinator, and Payroll, provide administrative support and HRIS data entry for the Transit Benefit programs for Palo Alto professional staff.
- Ensures compliance with California wage and hour law for weekly timecards and California skipped meal period reporting, in collaboration with department managers and Payroll.
- Recommends guidelines and practices to promote efficiency, effectiveness, excellent customer service and improved employee relations, in alignment with the Firm's Core Values.
- In partnership with Chief Human Resources Officer, Office Administrative Director and Human Resources Regional Senior Manager, engages in strategic (i.e., long-range) planning by developing departmental goals and supporting objectives for department.
- In partnership with Chief Human Resources Officer, Office Administrative Director and Human Resources Regional Senior Manager, forecasts financial and budget requirements for the department and monitors the budget.
- Manages job description development and annual job description audit.
- Ensures accurate and timely responses to requests for departmental services.
- Performs data entry on a frequent and ongoing basis within various HRIS systems.
- Maintains confidentiality, continuous concentration, alertness and attention to detail necessary to uphold the Firm's standards. Duties are varied and regularly require logic, analysis and discretion. Often handles issues not covered by standard practices. Involves other Firm personnel strictly on a need-to-know basis.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Current knowledge of Human Resources field, procedures, best practices and trends
- Broad knowledge of federal, state and local employment laws
- Knowledge of Firm policies and practices
- Knowledge of relevant Firm software programs (e.g., Workday, Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Demonstrated experience with leading and supervising others
- Ability to coordinate and implement projects, processes and change management
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and delegate effectively
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational, and planning skills
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to use discretion and exercise independent and sound judgment
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Flexibility to travel
- Bachelor's degree required
- SPHR/PHR certification and/or advanced degree preferred
- Ten + years relevant human resources management experience, preferably in a professional services environment; or equivalent Skadden experience
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.