The Office Services Manager is responsible for the operation of Copy/Distribution Services, Conference Services, Facilities and Life-Safety. Responsible for setting standards of excellence across the department through problem solving, process improvement, training and evaluation of personnel. Works collaboratively with the Human Resources department regarding matters related to the development and implementation of policies, disciplinary actions and employee relations.
- Oversees and ensures proper day to day operation of the Office Services department functions by ensuring appropriate staffing levels and effectively managing employee relations matters.
- Manages the professional development of all Office Services staff in keeping with evolving needs of technological advancements, continuously elevating service levels and efficiency.
- Identifies training needs for staff members and recommends training resources; conducts training for assigned staff on industry specific and department processes.
- Consults regularly with Human Resources, other managers, supervisors and administrative personnel; answers inquiries of Office Administrator, department heads and supervisors to provide assistance with problem-solving and implementation of SASM&F policies and procedures.
- Promotes an environment of teamwork and self-directed work teams by incorporating internal and external training methodologies and the continual evolvement of team efficiencies.
- With the assistance of the Copy Services Supervisor, manages copy and distribution issues, identifies costs savings, staffing issues and opportunities for greater efficiency.
- Manages facilities and building specific issues. Monitors HVAC usage, recommends changes to the schedule as needed. Oversees regular maintenance schedule of carpets, tile, painting, furniture upkeep, etc., in step with office moves and renovations and in keeping with annual budget allowances.
- Oversees the maintenance and inventory of all office furniture. Oversees furniture moves, storage and removal. Works with vendors on all aspects of furniture delivery and installation.
- Oversees health and safety/security operations at the local level. Manages associated equipment and activity locally and in conjunction with the New York Security team. Participates in and provides security training as needed.
- Updates and trains safety teams including CPR certification, oversees annual evacuation drills, maintains emergency tools and supplies, updates safety information in the office and on the Slate as appropriate.
- Maintains the Business Continuity Portal and updates related pages as needed. Arranges for regular refresher sessions on business continuity for team members.
- Manages Conference Services operations. Ensures quality user experience with all conference rooms and visitor offices. Utilizes appropriate on-line tools and reporting. Sets and monitors service standards as they relate to the Conference Services Department.
- Reports to the Office Administrator regarding office operations, personnel issues, budget information, other routine and non-routine events.
- Maintains confidentiality, continuous concentration, alertness and attention to detail necessary to uphold SASM&F standards. Duties are varied and regularly require logic, analysis and discretion. Often handles issues not covered by standard practices.
- Ensures accurate and timely responses to requests for departmental services.
- Monitors time, attendance, overtime and expense reports to ensure accuracy and compliance with firm policies.
- Participates in the interviewing, selection and training process.
- Ensures current knowledge of firm policies and practices for staff, current knowledge of industry trends, and continued professional development for staff.
- Effectively utilizes the firm's performance management process to communicate performance expectations, monitor performance, coach employees and manage unsatisfactory performance.
- Oversees employees' work performance and provides guidance in the resolution of problems.
- Initiates disciplinary procedures in collaboration with the Human Resources Department.
- Recommends guidelines and practices to promote efficient, effective, excellent customer service and improved employee relations, in alignment with the Firm's Core Values.
- Develops and communicates departmental guidelines and procedures.
- Ensures accurate and timely responses to request for departmental services.
- Engages in strategic (i.e., long-range) planning by developing departmental goals and supporting objectives for assigned departments.
- Forecasts financial and budget requirements for the departments, prepares related reports and monitors the budget.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communications skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Broad and thorough knowledge of the Office Services field and procedures
- Ability to stand, sit and walk for long periods of time
- Ability to lift 50 pounds, bend, climb ladders and push utility carts
- Current knowledge of industry best practices, trends and techniques
- Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Knowledge and implementation of the annual budget process
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational, and planning skills
- Demonstrated experience with leading and supervising others
- Ability to administer Firm policies and procedures
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Ability to use discretion and exercise independent and sound judgment
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and delegate effectively
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business need
- Flexibility to travel
- Bachelor's degree
- Paralegal experience preferred
- Minimum of five years of management experience required
- Minimum of five years of work experience encompassing a combination of Facilities, Distribution / Copy Services and Conference Services
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, physical or mental disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.
Skadden will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.