Los Angeles or Palo Alto
Skadden is seeking a West Coast Research & Knowledge Analyst to help expand our evening information services in support of attorneys across the globe. This exempt position will be located in either our Los Angeles or Palo Alto office, and the core work schedule will be 1:00 pm to 9:00 pm PST with a commitment to occasional weekends and holidays. This role involves intensive legal and corporate research, and the ideal candidate thrives in a fast paced environment while demonstrating a positive, customer-service approach. As a member of Skadden's professional staff, the Research & Knowledge Analyst will play an integral role in providing unrivalled client service.
- Supports research and Knowledge Management (KM) initiatives for Firm attorneys and staff across the globe, incorporating new technology.
- Responsible for providing information, analysis and expertise to attorneys and staff in all practice areas of the Firm.
- Analyzes legal, corporate and general resources and communicates findings in a clear and concise manner.
- Uses workflow software for the distribution and recording of research requests.
- Monitors email on Firm issued mobile device while out of the office and during off hours and coordinates with staff in other offices to complete pending requests.
- Helps plan and implement department outreach, training and orientation programs.
- Creates and maintains new business alert services that identify matters of interest to existing and potential clients.
- Collaborates with practice group leaders and other attorneys to design effective KM websites and databases.
- Works independently and with the KM team and selected practice areas to collect, organize and update content for practice area websites and databases.
- Establishes relationships with attorneys to promote awareness of KM initiatives and to solicit their participation.
- Evaluates new and updated versions of information resources, and recommends beneficial information sources for the Firm.
- Develops information network within and outside the Firm.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Ensures continuity of Research & Knowledge Services operations during supervisor absences.
- Experience with corporate, business, securities and litigation research
- Expertise with computer-based research tools including but not limited to: Lexis, Westlaw, Bloomberg Terminal, Bloomberg Law, Practical Law, Cheetah, Intelligize, Securities Mosaic, Deal Point Data, Capital IQ, SNL, PACER, Courthouse News Service, Accurint and HeinOnline
- Experience developing and implementing training or instructional programs
- Strong understanding of Knowledge Management principles, technology and best practices
- Proficient in using WYSIWYG web page editors
- Advanced knowledge of relevant Firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new applications
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Prioritizes a highly positive, customer-service approach
- Flexibility to adjust hours and to work additional hours as necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Master's Degree in Library Science or equivalent experience (minimum of eight years)
- Minimum of two years' research experience in a law firm or corporate library
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, physical or mental disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.
Skadden will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.