Skadden is looking for a Secretarial and Operations Group Manager. This position manages the Secretarial, Operations (Word Processing), and Records functions for the Palo Alto office, to include staffing, training, supervision, and development. Implements systems and procedures to ensure efficient and cost-effective operations and support. The Secretarial and Operations Group Manager:
- Manages the daily operations of the Secretarial, Operations (Word Processing) and Records departments in alignment with Firm best practices.
- Collaborates with the Operations Group Senior Coordinator to monitors the workflow of the Operations Group to ensure accurate and timely completion of work requests and projects.
- Collaborates with Firm-wide Directors on Secretarial, Operations (Word Processing), and Records on Firm-wide initiatives, training goals, and Firm-wide departmental projects.
- Coordinates and oversees department projects, day-to-day operations, and long-range plans.
- Manages professional development of Secretaries, Operations and Records staff in keeping with evolving needs of practice areas, technological advancements and continuously improved efficiency. Identifies training resources across departments and throughout the Firm; conducts training for assigned staff on industry-specific and department processes.
- Oversees employees' work performance and provides guidance in the resolutions of problems.
- Actively monitors individual and department utilization and productivity.
- Regularly communicates / coordinates with attorneys to ensure appropriate secretarial coverage and skills are provided.
- Ensures current knowledge of Firm policies and practices for staff, current knowledge of industry trends, and continued professional development for staff.
- Participates in the interviewing, selection and training process.
- Effectively utilizes the Firm's performance management process to communicate performance expectations, monitor performance, coach employees and manage unsatisfactory performance.
- Effectively resolves work-related problems and/or conflicts that arise within the assigned departments and between departments.
- Initiates disciplinary procedures in collaboration with the Office Administrative Director and Human Resources Department.
- Recommends guidelines and practices to promote efficient, effective, excellent client service and improved employee relations, in alignment with the Firm's Core Values.
- Develops and communicates departmental guidelines and procedures.
- Engages in strategic (i.e., long-range) planning by developing departmental goals and supporting objectives for assigned departments.
- Monitors time, attendance, overtime and expense reports to ensure accuracy and compliance with Firm policies.
- Forecasts financial and budget requirements for the departments, prepares related reports, and monitors the budget.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communications skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Current knowledge of industry best practices, trends and techniques
- Knowledge of relevant Firm computer software programs (e.g., Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Knowledge and implementation of the annual budget process
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing to interface with attorneys and professional staff at all levels within the Firm.
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational, and planning skills
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with leading and supervising others. Effectively employs coaching and problem-solving techniques
- Ability to administer Firm policies and procedures with authority
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and delegate effectively
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Ability to use discretion and exercise independent and sound judgment
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum of seven years of relevant administrative management experience in a law firm and/or professional services
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.
Skadden will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, please note that all newly-hired personnel in the United States must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of employment.