Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP (Skadden) has forged a reputation as one of the most prestigious law firms in the world by relying on innovation, intellect, teamwork and tenacity to deliver the highest quality advice and novel solutions to our clients' legal issues. By relying on innovation, intellect, teamwork and tenacity, our lawyers deliver the highest quality advice and novel solutions to our clients' legal issues. We are recognized as a global powerhouse for complex transactions, litigation/controversy issues, and regulatory matters, as well as for the open, collaborative relationships we build with clients. Our attorneys, who reflect diverse backgrounds and perspectives, collaborate seamlessly across 50-plus practices and 21 offices in the world’s major financial centers.
We are seeking an experienced Technical Writer for our dynamic Technology Learning & Development (“TL&D”) team. This position can be based out of any of Skadden's domestic (U.S.) offices and will be a hybrid role (with both in-office and remote work). The primary role of this position is to produce technical documentation for attorneys and professional staff on the Firm’s supported applications. In addition to working with the TL&D team to create documentation for global distribution via the Firm’s intranet (desktop and mobile platforms), and email communications, our Technical Writers assist with the production of video content and course packages for use within the Firm’s learning management system (“LMS”), including videos, eLearning modules, LMS packages, and documentation. This position works closely with subject matter experts to understand content being developed and delivered and also modifies existing content based on feedback and changes in technology.
As a Technical Writer at Skadden, you will:
- Support the development of TL&D content, including: documentation, videos, eLearning modules, and LMS packages
- Assist on special technology projects, providing documentation and resource development
- Work with colleagues to maintain and improve the standardization of oneSkadden offerings
- Assess existing instructional content to conform with global standards for hardware, software and other Firm processes
- Promote live oneSkadden training programs
- Test and evaluate existing external LMS offerings
- Identify Firm training needs and communicates with Global TL&D Manager and TL&D Supervisor to develop uniform offerings for global delivery
- Provide weekly training reports
- Provide live training in accordance with the needs of the Firm
- Monitor "Work Strategies” SharePoint for TL&D content
- Monitor ITSM/ISM incidents for TL&D opportunities
- Demonstrate logic, reasoning skills, analysis, and interpretation to resolve problems
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others
- Manage Firm resources responsibly
- Maintain a regular and reliable physical presence in order to use on-site equipment and conduct in-person training consistent with the needs of the position
- Comply with and understand Firm operation, policies and procedures
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Demonstrated proficiency in technical writing and producing uniform documentation
- Understands technical aspects of Firm applications in order to design instructional content
- Demonstrated advanced proficiency in relevant Firm computer software programs (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Power PDF, etc.) with the ability to learn additional software and operating systems
- Thorough working knowledge of Firm systems, including: Citrix, eDOCS DM, mobile device technology and apps, Webex, Zoom, Cisco Jabber, DTE Axiom, Aderant Expert Time, Chrome River, Litera Change-Pro & Metadact, Power PDF, Snagit, Windows and macOS operating environments, Legal Technology systems and other relevant legal applications
- Able to present Technology Orientations to new arrivals, ensuring a professional "Day One" training experience
- Able to adapt to different situations, and is capable of covering activities ranging from basic first-line support to assisting with global projects and communications to management
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and planning skills
- Must be able to operate independently and understand when to escalate issues
- Ability to use discretion and exercise sound judgment
- Provides excellent customer service through effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Flexibility to travel
- Bachelor's degree or postgraduate degree
- A minimum of two years of experience in technical writing or instructional design
Culture & Life at Skadden
What makes Skadden special is our people and the culture, community and spirit of collaboration we have created. We believe in teamwork and inspiring each other to be our best in an atmosphere that promotes professionalism and excellence in all that we do. We know that inclusion, equity and drawing on the strength of a wide spectrum of diverse talent only make us better and is vital to the firm's success. Our goal is for everyone at the firm to enjoy a challenging career with opportunities for development and growth and to support the well-being of our attorneys and professional staff.
The overall well-being of our team is important to us. We offer generous benefits to help you achieve wellness in all areas of your life.
- Competitive salaries and year-end discretionary bonuses.
- Comprehensive health care (medical, dental, vision), savings plan/401(k) and voluntary benefits.
- Generous paid time off.
- Paid leave options, including parental.
- In-classroom, remote, and on-demand learning and professional development opportunities.
- Robust well-being classes and programs.
- Opportunities to give back and make an impact in local communities.
For further details, please visit: https://www.skadden.com/careers/staff/employee-benefits
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, please note that all newly-hired personnel in the United States must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of employment.
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer (Disability/Vet/other protected categories). For more information, please visit Skadden.com/careers.
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073 or email@example.com.