Skadden is seeking a Client Accounting Assistant to join our Client Accounting team in the Washington, D.C. Office. As a member of Skadden's professional staff, the Client Accounting Assistant will play an integral role in helping the firm provide high-quality service to clients.
The Client Accounting Assistant provides client accounting analysis and billing support to partners. Prepares bills and follows-up on all matters of billing and collection and responds to related internal inquiries. Works closely with department team members to meet department service guidelines. Assists billing coordinators with complex billing assignments.
- Reviews information for client matters which partners are responsible for billing/collecting.
- Documents meetings/discussions with partners for actions and/or later follow-up.
- Prepares bills, internal forms and back-up including preparation of narrative descriptions, write-offs, transfers, retainer and on-account applications. Follows-up processing of such paperwork.
- Responds to inquiries and requests for information made by attorneys, legal assistants and professional staff.
- Participates in answering and serving the firm's billing and collection help line.
- Updates monthly reminder memos and lists for distribution by department target date. Follows-up reminder memo responses, including sending reminder letters, preparing accounts receivable write-offs and providing back-up and/or additional information. Updates the department's central reminder letter schedule.
- Updates and maintains information for billing logs, reminder memo logs & response sheet, partner serviced list/production log, and client/matter logs.
- Maintains complete and up-to-date files for each partner and/or client.
- Communicates situations as they evolve that may require follow-up, such as bills not returned from attorneys, difficult requests, etc.
- Actively seeks to enhance knowledge of all Client Accounting Department procedures and processes.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Aderant, Starcollect, Outook, Excel, PowerPoint) with the ability to learn new software and operating systems.
- Excellent analytical and troubleshooting abilities.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrates close attention to detail.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities.
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality.
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Minimum of one year of related experience.
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, please note that all newly-hired personnel in the United States must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of employment.