This position is a senior member of the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion team, responsible for developing and carrying forward processes for associate development and retention, including practice and office-led DE&I initiatives and firm-wide learning and education programs, and supporting associates' individual development goals.
- Responsible for working with client teams on collaborative programs with clients that support DE&I goals and best practices.
- Engages with practice group and office leadership to support DE&I strategy planning and implementation that align with the Firm’s overall DE&I goals for attorney development and retention.
- Assists associates in devising and implementing their individual development plans, working in coordination with practice group and talent development teams.
- Combines DE&I thought leadership and understanding of Firm culture to provide proactive essential support to DE&I leadership team and other stakeholders in the Firm's efforts (e.g., committees, working groups, affinity networks, practice group and department leaders).
- Develops and implements, including by delivering and engaging external consultants, firm-wide DE&I-centered education and learning programs.
- Supports client relationship partners on developing and overseeing collaborative efforts with clients or otherwise supporting their DE&I efforts.
- Oversees team in responding to client and industry diversity surveys and inquiries, including upkeep of knowledge database of relevant diversity information.
- Manages Firm participation with external DE&I organizations that provide leadership development opportunities to our attorneys.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Ensures accurate and timely responses to requests for departmental services.
- Engages in strategic (i.e., long-range) planning by developing goals and supporting objectives for assigned areas of responsibility.
- Forecasts financial and budget requirements for assigned projects and initiatives, prepares related reports, and monitors the budget.
- Ensures current knowledge of Firm policies and practices for staff, current knowledge of industry trends, and continued professional development for staff.
- Effectively utilizes the Firm's performance management process to communicate performance expectations, monitor performance, coach employees, and manage unsatisfactory performance.
- Oversees employees' work performance and provides guidance in the resolution of problems.
- Participates in the interviewing, selection and training process for the department.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Recommends guidelines and practices to promote efficiency, effectiveness, excellent customer service and improved employee relations, in alignment with the Firm's Core Values.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Current knowledge of industry best practices, trends, techniques and key DE&I metrics and performance indicators
- Knowledge of relevant Firm computer software programs (e.g., Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Excellent judgment, discretion and analytical skills, including with respect to complex responsibilities and matters
- Demonstrates strong, effective communication and influencing skills, both verbally and in writing
- Adept at troubleshooting, organizing, delegating and work planning for self and supervised team members
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to administer Firm policies and procedures
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Bachelor's Degree required
- JD, MBA or relevant MA/MS degree strongly preferred
- Minimum of nine years of related diversity, equity and inclusion or talent development experience
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.