Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP (Skadden) has forged a reputation as one of the most prestigious law firms in the world by relying on innovation, intellect, teamwork and tenacity to deliver the highest quality advice and novel solutions to our clients' legal issues. By relying on innovation, intellect, teamwork and tenacity, our lawyers deliver the highest quality advice and novel solutions to our clients' legal issues. We are recognized as a global powerhouse for complex transactions, litigation/controversy issues, and regulatory matters, as well as for the open, collaborative relationships we build with clients. Our attorneys, who reflect diverse backgrounds and perspectives, collaborate seamlessly across 50-plus practices and 21 offices in the world’s major financial centers.
We are seeking a Legal Assistant Coordinator (mid-level) to join our Firm. This position will be based in our Washington, D.C. office (hybrid). The Legal Assistant Coordinator will collaborate with the Legal Assistant Manager to provide assistance and guidance to attorneys and legal assistants in coordinating workflows and staffing. This position will coordinate training and assist with general case related projects.
- Assists Legal Assistant Manager in coordinating department projects, day-to-day operations and long-range plans.
- Consults with attorneys to coordinate workflow and staffs legal assistants on cases and deals.
- Coordinates legal assistant staffing with supervisors and managers in other offices.
- Updates legal assistant training materials and participates in training process.
- Maintains Absence Request System.
- Monitors time, attendance, overtime, and expense reports to ensure accuracy and compliance with firm policies.
- Reviews disbursement reports to ensure appropriate billing.
- Manages DC notary and apostille requests and keeps abreast of new laws and regulations.
- Assigns notaries to requests.
- Assists with coordinating case room and review space and organization of electronic and paper files.
- Ensures that files are maintained within department-approved protocols and case management systems, and seeks to improve workflow regarding storage and recall of materials.
- Assists with vendor process, questions, billing, and procedures.
- Works with vendors to manage invoices and project requests.
- Assists with editing SharePoint home page and resource pages to ensure content is up to date.
CASE MANAGEMENT FUNCTIONS:
- Advises on case-related tasks including maintaining and organizing client original and case room files, managing document reviews, preparing document productions, drafting correspondence, cite checking and proofreading filings and memoranda.
- Provides knowledge of the litigation and corporate process and procedures on cases.
- Works with case teams to ensure Legal Technology procedures are followed and keeps apprised of upcoming requests and case team needs.
- Coordinates and assists with retrieval of rules, regulations and company profiles.
- Gives guidance on preparation for interviews, depositions, hearings, trials and/or client meetings.
- Performs non-legal research using various research tools, including the Internet, Westlaw, LexisNexis, PACER and other court-related websites for case law, statutes, articles, books, etc.
- Gives guidance on cite checking, shepardizing and/or proofreading of legal documents.
- Provides information on document productions, transactions and/or closings.
- Mentors legal assistants in all aspects of case management.
- Communicates departmental guidelines and procedures.
- Ensures accurate and timely responses to requests for departmental services.
- Offers guidance to attorneys and professional staff on departmental best practices.
- Coordinates and assists with handling complex projects.
- Performs frequent physical exertion including: sitting, repetitive use of both hands, lifting and carrying up to 10 pounds.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned.
- Demonstrated knowledge of case management process and required skills.
- In-depth understanding of advanced task specific concepts and procedures.
- Current knowledge of industry best practices, trends and techniques.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel) with the ability to learn new software and operating systems.
- Ability to navigate various electronic databases and document repositories.
- Ability to coordinate large-scale and/or high level projects amongst colleagues and professional staff.
- Ability to assume leadership responsibilities.
- Strong research skills and proficiency in using various research tools, including the Internet, Westlaw, Lexis/Nexis, PACER, SEC/EDGAR and court-related websites and/or media and financial services.
- Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Demonstrates close attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate effectively with partners and clients as needed.
- Flexibility to travel and adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Minimum of three years of legal assistant or related experience with demonstrated leadership and high-level case coordination skills.
Culture & Life at Skadden
What makes Skadden special is our people and the culture, community and spirit of collaboration we have created. We believe in teamwork and inspiring each other to be our best in an atmosphere that promotes professionalism and excellence in all that we do. We know that inclusion, equity and drawing on the strength of a wide spectrum of diverse talent only make us better and is vital to the firm's success. Our goal is for everyone at the firm to enjoy a challenging career with opportunities for development and growth and to support the well-being of our attorneys and professional staff.
The overall well-being of our team is important to us. We offer generous benefits to help you achieve wellness in all areas of your life.
- Competitive salaries and year-end discretionary bonuses.
- Comprehensive health care (medical, dental, vision), savings plan/401(k) and voluntary benefits.
- Generous paid time off.
- Paid leave options, including parental.
- In-classroom, remote, and on-demand learning and professional development opportunities.
- Robust well-being classes and programs.
- Opportunities to give back and make an impact in local communities.
For further details, please visit: https://www.skadden.com/careers/staff/employee-benefits
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, please note that all newly-hired personnel in the United States must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of employment.