Skadden is seeking a Legal Practice Assistant to join the Washington, D.C. office. The Legal Practice Assistant provides attorneys, members of the department, and other professional staff with diversified clerical, administrative, and case/deal support. The Legal Practice Assistant facilitates conversations in English and Spanish languages and provides Spanish translations. The Legal Practice Assistant is the entry-level position within the department and involves significant contact with attorneys, members of the department, and other professional staff.
- Organizes and manages electronic and paper files.
- Ensures that all files are maintained with department-approved protocols and case management systems.
- Maintains the integrity of client files.
- Assists with the preparation and court filing of pleadings and other court papers, as needed.
- Assists with retrieval of rules, regulations, and company profiles, as needed.
- Assists with document productions, transactions, and/or closings.
- Assists with preparation for interviews, depositions, hearings, trials, and/or client meetings.
- Performs non-legal research using various research tools, including the Internet, Westlaw, LexisNexis, PACER, and/or other court-related websites for case law, statutes, articles, books, etc.
- Updates attorney and case and/or deal team binders.
- Page-checks documents.
- Assists legal assistants and attorneys across practice areas.
- Facilitates conversations in English and Spanish languages.
- Provides translation of client Spanish language documents to/from English for attorney review.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Ability to translate Spanish language documents to/from English and facilitate conversations in English and Spanish languages.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with relevant firm computer software (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel) with the ability to learn new software and operating systems.
- Ability to navigate various electronic databases and document repositories.
- Strong research skills and proficiency in using various research tools.
- Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Demonstrates close attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to assume progressive responsibilities within assigned work as experience is gained in the position.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive matters.
- Flexibility to travel and adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operation and business needs.
- Bachelor's degree
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.