Skadden is seeking a Legal Technology Technical Specialist to join our Legal Technology team in the Washington, D.C. office. As a member of Skadden's professional staff, the Legal Technology Technical Specialist will play an integral role in helping the firm high-quality service to clients. The team of knowledgeable and talented staff at Skadden are dedicated to supported our lawyers in delivering excellence in legal and client services.
The Legal Technology Technical Specialist performs tasks essential to the creation, maintenance, loading, and export of data to the Firm's document management systems. Manipulates data and performs data analysis. Writes and modifies scripts and macros to automate data validation and manipulation tasks.
- Create, designs, and maintains field structures of the Firm's document review databases.
- Sets up database user accounts.
- Administers database security and user permissions.
- Transfers files to and from the Firm's systems using FTP.
- Creates and duplicates various media formats (CD, DVD, Hard Drive, USB Drives) as needed.
- Quality checks and validates data load files, images, and native files in preparation for loading.
- Creates and converts data load files for loading and production purposes.
- Imports and exports load files, images, and native files to and from document management systems.
- Performs tasks related to creation, maintenance, loading and exporting of data from Relativity databases, and for file conversions, electronic and paper document productions, and media creation.
- Manipulates data to meet project specifications, such as conforming field values, merging data, extracting text strings.
- Utilizes data loading and production checklists to ensure consistent quality of work product.
- Performs tasks related to database maintenance such as record deletions, data back-up, updating existing records and associated images/native files, field merges, and conforming field values.
- Performs database administration tasks such as the creation of document views, coding layouts and maintenance of dtSearch indices.
- Quality checks production and file conversion results to ensure load files are valid and work product meets project-specific and industry standards.
- Ensures documents are correctly exported by checking physical properties of files and ensuring errors during the export process are reconciled.
- Performs tasks related to ensuring data integrity and soundness of database structures.
- Troubleshoots and resolves database issues such as missing or corrupt data and images, incorrectly loaded data; database permission issues and outdated indices.
- Performs database searches, as necessary, for checking and preparing data for mass editing and export.
- Generates database summary reports.
- Generates and runs analytics indices in Relativity databases and creates associated views and layouts to aid in the presentation and interpretation of the analytics results.
- Analyzes data collections to identify loadable data, duplicative files, etc.
- Creates, modifies and executes scripts to automate data validation, loading and manipulation tasks.
- Knowledge of database administration functions such as loading data, manipulating data and exporting data.
- Knowledge of various data load file and image formats commonly used in the industry (Concordance DAT, Opticon, IPRO), and ability to validate, create and convert such files.
- Knowledge of applications and productivity tools such as ticketing systems, data verification tools, and data manipulation scripts.
- Solid knowledge of administration and production functions in Relativity and other similar litigation support database applications.
- Familiarity with the design, protocol, and usage of Relativity (and other similar litigation support review platforms).
- Knowledge of Relativity, or similar litigation support database applications, as both end-user and administrator OR experience with relational databases.
- Knowledge of database concepts, searching syntax and techniques.
- Working knowledge of structured query language (SQL) for use with databases, Unix and MS Windows.
- Working knowledge of programming principles.
- Command of at least one scripting language.
- Proficiency in the use of regular expressions.
- Knowledge of how to manipulate data through programmatic means or by using a text editor such as TextPad.
- Familiarity with productivity tools used for file transfers and copies (FTP), file compression (RAR and ZIP) and encryption methods.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science with one year of related work experience preferred or Bachelor's degree in a related technical field with one year of related work experience required.
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, physical or mental disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.