Skadden is looking for a Fixed Assets Staff Accountant to work in their White Plains office location. This position will maintain fixed assets data, including: adding, disposing, and transferring fixed assets in the Fixed Assets Management system. Additionally, this position:
- Maintains software and hardware maintenance contracts in the Fixed Assets Management system.
- Validates the accuracy and completeness of journal entry reports generated by the Fixed Assets Management system.
- Reconciles and analyzes assigned general ledger accounts.
- Prepares manual journal entries as needed.
- Maintains appropriate records and documentation supporting analysis and journal entries.
- Coordinates with the Real Estate, IT, and Tax departments to determine the correct classification of costs, especially those related to large construction projects to ensure accurate project accounting and compliance with tax regulations.
- Approves and researches open invoices for Accounts Payable, and enters specific purchases into the Fixed Assets Management system.
- Interacts with local offices on a regular basis to ensure proper recording of fixed assets, including periodic physical inventory of fixed assets.
- Maintains and provides appropriate reports to the Tax department to ensure compliance with both domestic and international reporting requirements.
- Ensures accurate and timely responses to requests for departmental services.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Fundamental accounting knowledge (e.g. balanced journal entries, account reconciliations, roll forwards schedules).
- Strong knowledge of Excel (e.g. conditional functions, pivot tables, appropriate data formatting/cleaning techniques).
- Strong ability and willingness to learn and exploit the capabilities of new software and operating systems.
- Fundamental knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Word, PowerPoint).
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrates close attention to detail.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities.
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work.
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team.
- Maintains confidentiality and discretion in handling sensitive information
- Demonstrates strong critical thinking ability
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational, and planning skills.
- Maintains knowledge of current technologies, relevant industry direction(s), and best practices.
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs.
- Bachelor's degree with a concentration in Accounting (Minimum of three years of accounting experience)
- Associate's degree with a concentration in Accounting (Minimum of ten years of accounting experience)
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, please note that all newly-hired personnel in the United States must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of employment.