Interested in joining a team of professionals who are smart, motivated and dedicated to supporting the firm and each other? Skadden – known for approaching our clients' most complex matters with innovative and creative thinking – is hiring a Payroll Supervisor to join our firm in White Plains, NY. In this role, you will supervise payroll preparation for all domestic and international offices using a computerized system and oversee staff work-flow and efforts to meet department goals.
- Verifies wages, withholdings and deductions where multi-state tax laws apply.
- Counsels legal and non-legal staff regarding payroll issues/problems and ensures adherence to financial and firm policies.
- Investigates and adjusts reported irregularities in pay.
- Develops and runs audit reports to monitor payroll requirements.
- Compiles statistical and audit/edit reports.
- Ensures current knowledge of firm policies and practices for staff, current knowledge of industry trends, and continued professional development for staff.
- Participates in the interviewing, selection and training process.
- Recommends and implements changes and improvements in methods and procedures to higher level management.
- Coordinates and oversees department projects, day-to-day operations and long-range plans.
- Monitors time, attendance, overtime, and expense reports to ensure accuracy and compliance with firm policies.
- Recommends and participates in disciplinary procedures.
- Effectively utilizes the Firm's performance management process to communicate performance expectations, monitor performance, coach employees, and manage unsatisfactory performance.
- Oversees employees' work performance and provides guidance in the resolution of problems.
- Initiates disciplinary procedures in collaboration with the Human Resources Department.
- Recommends guidelines and practices to promote efficiency, effectiveness, excellent customer service and improved employee relations, in alignment with the Firm's Core Values.
- Develops and communicates departmental guidelines and procedures.
- Ensures accurate and timely responses to requests for departmental services.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies, and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Strong knowledge of Federal/State tax laws which pertain to payroll
- Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (i.e. Lawson or other payroll systems), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Current knowledge of industry best practices, trends and techniques
- Ability to administer Firm policies and procedures
- Ability to effectively supervise others
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational, and planning skills
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Ability to defuse a tense situation
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to deal courteously/effectively with others
- Personally handles more complex issues/duties requiring independent exercise of discretion and judgment
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and delegate effectively
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of three years related experience and one year of supervisory experience
The starting base salary for this White Plains position is expected to be between $95,000 to $120,000 annually. Actual salary will be determined based on skills, experience (to the extent relevant) and other-job related factors, consistent with applicable law.
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP has forged a reputation as one of the most prestigious law firms in the world. Relying on innovation, intellect, teamwork and tenacity, our lawyers deliver the highest quality advice and novel solutions to our clients’ legal issues. We are known for handling the most complex transactions, litigation/controversy issues, and regulatory matters, as well as for the open, collaborative relationships we build with clients and each other. Our attorneys and professional staff, who reflect diverse backgrounds and perspectives, work together seamlessly across 21 offices in the world’s major financial centers.
Culture & Life at Skadden
What makes Skadden special is our people and the culture, community and spirit of collaboration we have created. We believe in teamwork and inspiring each other to be our best in an atmosphere that promotes professionalism and excellence in all that we do. We know that inclusion, equity and drawing on the strength of a wide spectrum of diverse talent only make us better and is vital to the firm's success. Our goal is for everyone at the firm to enjoy a challenging career with opportunities for development and growth and to support the well-being of our attorneys and professional staff.
The overall well-being of our team is important to us. We offer generous benefits to help you achieve wellness in all areas of your life.
- Competitive salaries and year-end discretionary bonuses.
- Comprehensive health care (medical, dental, vision), savings plan/401(k) and voluntary benefits.
- Generous paid time off.
- Paid leave options, including parental.
- In-classroom, remote, and on-demand learning and professional development opportunities.
- Robust well-being classes and programs.
- Opportunities to give back and make an impact in local communities.
For further details, please visit: https://www.skadden.com/careers/staff/employee-benefits
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073 or firstname.lastname@example.org.