This position is responsible for managing the Firm's income tax planning, compliance and tax accounts.
- Provides problem solving assistance and participates in large department projects.
- Manages the Firm's tax research, planning and compliance to ensure that all foreign, federal, state, local deadlines are met and firm operates appropriately throughout the year.
- Coordinates with Partner Accounting team and the Maintenance of Partner's Capital Accounts.
- Liaison with Outside Service Providers regarding the review and preparation of global income tax returns.
- Involved in the determination of the quarterly information of the Firm's results to Partners and their accountants.
- Responsible for reviewing the firm's tax accounts in the general ledger to ensure accuracy.
- Manages the international individual tax programs.
- Plans, designs and implements enhancements for the department and/or Firm.
- Ensures current knowledge of firm policies and practices for staff, current knowledge of industry trends, and continued professional development for staff.
- Participates in the interviewing, selection and training process.
- Coordinates and oversees department projects, day-to-day operations and long-range plans.
- Monitors time, attendance, overtime, and expense reports to ensure accuracy and compliance with firm policies.
- Effectively utilizes the Firm's performance management process to communicate performance expectations, monitor performance, coach employees, and manage unsatisfactory performance.
- Oversees employees' work performance and provides guidance in the resolution of problems.
- Initiates disciplinary procedures in collaboration with the Human Resources Department.
- Recommends guidelines and practices to promote efficiency, effectiveness, excellent customer service and improved employee relations, in alignment with the Firm's Core Values.
- Develops and communicates departmental guidelines and procedures.
- Ensures accurate and timely responses to requests for departmental services.
- Engages in strategic (i.e., long-range) planning by developing departmental goals and supporting objectives for assigned department(s).
- Forecasts financial and budget requirements for the department, prepares related reports, and monitors the budget.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Current knowledge of industry best practices, trends and techniques
- Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Aderant), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Working knowledge of Federal, State and Local tax laws and procedures, including compliance software
- Maintains general awareness of Foreign Tax Issues
- Knowledge and implementation of the annual budget process
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational, and planning skills
- Demonstrated experience with leading and supervising others
- Strong managerial skills
- Ability to administer Firm policies and procedures
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and delegate effectively
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Ability to use discretion and exercise independent and sound judgment
- Flexibility to travel
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Bachelor's degree
- Certified as a CPA or relevant industry experience
- Minimum of ten years tax experience with a minimum of six years public accounting or industry experience
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.