Skadden is seeking a Tax Manager – Expatriate to join our global Tax team. Reporting directly to the Associate Director of Tax, the Tax Manager will be responsible for global tax matters pertaining to Partners, employees, independent contractors, as well as special projects.
- Responsible for reviewing, compiling, and analyzing accurate financial data pertaining to expatriate tax matters, international tax filings, compensation reports, as well as other special projects as assigned.
- Reviews international tax returns (e.g. income tax returns, travel reports, fringe benefit tax returns, etc.), while preparing accurate and reliable work papers to support filings.
- Assists in information gathering and analysis on various international tax projects which may include: financial reporting, tax reporting, policy development, tax planning opportunities and tax audits.
- Oversees the reporting of Foreign Bank Account Reporting for U.S. individuals with signatory authority.
- Reviews and approves compensation accounting and reporting for international employees to ensure that all foreign, federal, state, local and payroll guidelines and deadlines are met.
- Timely handling of ad hoc inquiries posed by international employees and management.
- Responsible for annual tax preparation authorization list while managing tax vendors and related invoices
- Prepares and reviews short-term business traveler reports and highlight appropriate matters, when applicable.
- Assist with other firm international tax projects and filings as needed. For example, prepares information to obtain US Form 6166 as well as any related billing requests for India documentation.
- Reviews tax budget concerning expatriate related amounts.
- Responsible for submitting Canadian SINs for all Canadian nonresidents as well as timely address any letters received from the Canadian taxing authority.
- Maintains and adjusts the tax calendar as needed, ensuring all deadlines are met.
- Manages department projects, day-to-day operations and long-range plans concerning expatriate tax filings and secondment structures.
- Reviews quarterly U.S. income tax payments and/or withholdings for Partners in overseas offices, including coordination with their accountants and the Partner Accounting group and related memorandums.
- Keeps abreast of relevant tax law developments and changes and communicate relevant topics to the appropriate team members.
- Exhibits an expert working knowledge of the Firm's general ledger system to analyze, compile, and reconcile data.
- Recommends and implements changes and improvements in methods and procedures to higher level management.
- Ensures current knowledge of Firm policies and practices for staff, current knowledge of industry trends, and continued professional development for staff.
- Recommend guidelines and practices to promote efficiency, effectiveness, excellent customer service and improved employee relations, in alignment with the Firm's Core Values.
- Effectively utilizes the Firm's performance management process to communicate performance expectations, monitor performance, coach employees, and manage unsatisfactory performance.
- Oversees employees' work performance and provides guidance in the resolution of problems.
- Ensures accurate and timely responses to requests for departmental services.
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manage Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Law firm and/or related professional service organization experience
- Strong working knowledge of tax rules for individuals, as well as a good understanding of payrolls, debits and credits
- Savvy with foreign tax issues and international tax planning
- Current knowledge of industry best practices, trends and techniques
- Effective problem solver with the ability to think outside the box
- Knowledge of relevant Firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Excel to execute complex functions (e.g., v/hlookups, pivot tables, formula nesting)
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail
- General awareness of foreign tax matters
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple deliverables with competing timelines
- Personally handles complex issues/duties requiring independent exercise of discretion and judgment
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational, and planning skills
- Ability to effectively supervise others
- Ability to administer Firm policies and procedures
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and delegate effectively
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Ability to use discretion and exercise independent and sound judgment
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting
- A minimum of eight years of progressive tax experience with at least four years focused on expatriate taxation
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073 or firstname.lastname@example.org.