Skadden is looking for a Tax Project Manager who will be part of a global tax team reporting to the Assistant Director Tax. The role is responsible for global tax filing compliance including supervising the process of timely completing and filing the applicable domestic and international tax returns. Additionally, the individual may participate with special projects as it relates to the taxes of the Firm.
- Responsible for compiling and analyzing accurate financial data for outside tax preparers of the Firm's U.S. and international tax returns, including but not limited to:
- the Firm's Federal and State partnership tax returns and related K-1s;
- U.S. composite and withholding payments and returns;
- other tax related filings, such as NYC UBT;
- various international tax returns; and
- related corporate tax returns.
- Timely respond to tax authority notices.
- Perform technical analysis and application of Federal, State, and income tax treaty rules.
- Liaison with outside service providers regarding the review and preparation of global income tax returns.
- Coordinates with Partner Accounting team and the Maintenance of Partner's Capital Accounts.
- Maintain tax calendar and ensure compliance is met for all applicable operational jurisdictions.
- Keep abreast of relevant tax law developments and changes.
- Ensures current knowledge of firm policies and practices for staff, current knowledge of industry trends, and continued professional development for staff.
- Reconcile and maintain related general ledger accounts.
- Supervise quarterly tax withholding and payment process as well as assist with quarterly Partner memoranda.
- Supervise department projects, day-to-day operations and long-range plans.
- Oversee employees' work performance and provide guidance in the resolution of problems.
- Ensure current knowledge of Firm policies and practices for staff, current knowledge of industry trends, and continued professional development for staff.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Strong working knowledge of U.S. and State partnership tax rules as well as a good understanding of debits and credits
- Current knowledge of industry best practices, trends and techniques
- Effective problem solver with the ability to think outside the box
- Knowledge of relevant Firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Excel to execute complex functions (e.g., v/hlookups, pivot tables, formula nesting)
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail
- General awareness of foreign tax matters
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple deliverables with competing timelines
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational, and planning skills
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting
- Ten (10) or more years of progressive tax experience with at least four (4) years focused on partnership tax
- Law firm and/or related professional service organization experience is a plus
- CPA and/or EA
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, physical or mental disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.