Skadden is looking for an experienced Legal Assistant to work in the Litigation practice area and provide attorneys, members of the Department and other professional staff with diversified clerical, administrative and case/deal support. This position will utilize experience and knowledge of case/deal resources and methods to assist with advanced, complex tasks and projects, with minimal supervision, throughout all phases and aspects of Litigation work. This position:
- Handles advanced, complex projects.
- Organizes and manages electronic and paper files.
- Ensures that all Litigation/Corporate files are maintained within Department-approved protocols and case management Systems, and seeks to improve workflow regarding storage and recall of materials.
- Maintains the integrity of client files.
- Assists with the preparation and court filing of pleadings and other court papers, as needed.
- Assists with retrieval of rules, regulations and company profiles, as needed.
- Assists with document productions, transactions and/or closings.
- Assists with preparation for interviews, depositions, hearings, trials and/or client meetings.
- Proofreads briefs, memoranda of law, opinions and other documents.
- Performs cross-reference and defined terms checks, as needed.
- Pulls cases, shepardizes briefs and assists with and/or coordinates cite-checking, as needed.
- Performs non-legal research using various research tools, including the Internet, Westlaw, LexisNexis, PACER, SEC/EDGAR and other media and financial services sites, and/or other court-related websites for case law, statutes, articles, books, etc.
- Updates attorney and case/deal team binders.
- Assists Partners, associates and other legal assistants across practice areas and throughout departments, as needed.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures..
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Ability to navigate various electronic databases and document repositories
- Strong research skills and proficiency in using various research tools, including the Internet, Westlaw,
- LexisNexis, PACER, SEC/EDGAR and other court-related websites and/or media and financial services
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational and planning skills
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Ability to assume responsibility for assigned projects and tasks
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Flexibility to travel as required
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of two years of experience in a legal assistant position or a position requiring similar skillset, expertise and experience
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, physical or mental disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.