Skadden is seeking a Partner/Counsel Secretary to join our Secretarial Services Department in our Wilmington, Delaware office. The team of knowledgeable and talented staff at Skadden are dedicated to supporting our lawyers in their goal to provide excellence in legal and client services.
This position provides administrative support to assigned partner(s) and other attorney(s).
- Provides administrative and secretarial support to attorneys, including secretarial team coverage and backup support.
- Answers, screen, and places telephone calls. Directs calls and assists callers as appropriate.
- Opens, reads, and routes mail as directed.
- Prepares correspondence, documents, reports, and spreadsheets.
- Maintains attorney and client files, records, and contact lists.
- Schedules meetings, maintains calendars, coordinates travel plans as needed.
- Takes and transcribes dictation (e.g., fast notes, shorthand).
- Assists attorney(s) with administrative work and projects.
- Prepares attorney time records, expense reports, and check requests.
- Handles personal matters requested by attorney(s).
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manages firm resources responsibility.
- Compiles with and understands firm operations, policies, and procedures.
- Performs frequent physical exertion including: sitting, repetitive use of both hands, lifting and carrying up to 10 pounds.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of Firm operations, policies and procedures
- Working knowledge of basic legal terminology
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook and ability to learn additional software (e.g., billing file management database)
- Ability to take fast notes and/or shorthand
- Ability to read, interpret, and follow instructions
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Accurate typing speed of 55 words per minute
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Minimum of three years related experience
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.