Skadden is seeking a Senior Legal Assistant - Litigation to join our Legal Assistant Services team in the Wilmington office. The Senior Legal Assistant utilizes experience and knowledge of case resources and methods to assist with advanced, complex tasks and projects, with minimal supervision, throughout all phases and aspects of Litigation work, while providing guidance to legal practice assistants, legal assistants, attorneys and other professional staff.
- Assists with the preparation and filing/serving of court documents electronically via File & ServeXpress and PACER CM/ECF.
- Provides support throughout all phases of discovery, including document review, production and depositions.
- Assists with preparation for interviews, depositions, hearings, trials and/or client meetings.
- Proofreads motions, letters and other documents.
- Reviews motions, briefs and other court papers prior to filing, including cite-checking, Shepardizing and document formatting.
- Prepares and handles technical, complex filings, including confidential filing procedures and numerous exhibits.
- Drafts court papers including one-page motions, proposed orders, certificates of service, entries of appearance, transmittal affidavits, letters, verifications to complaints and answers to interrogatories.
- Coordinates with managing law clerks and others to arrange for deadline reminders and distribution of court filings.
- Creates and organizes materials for hearings, such as casebooks and briefing binders.
- Runs searches, codes and pulls documents in Relativity databases.
- Prepares and finalizes privilege and redaction logs.
- Manages numerous deadlines by prioritizing tasks and delegating as necessary.
- Stays up-to-date on court rules and filing requirements.
- Handles advanced, complex projects.
- Ensures that all Litigation case files are maintained within department-approved protocols and case management systems, and seeks to improve workflows regarding storage and recall of electronic and paper files.
- Organizes and manages electronic and paper files.
- Maintains the integrity of client files.
- Performs non-legal research using various research tools, including the Internet, Westlaw, LexisNexis, PACER, SEC/EDGAR and other media and financial services sites, and/or other court-related websites for case law, statutes, articles, books, etc.
- Assists partners, associates and other legal assistants across offices, practice areas and throughout departments, as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Working knowledge of Delaware Court of Chancery, Supreme and Superior courts rules and procedures.
- Working knowledge of Federal Court rules and procedures, including civil and criminal rules.
- Demonstrated ability with complex court filings, in both paper and electronic (e-filing) formats.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel.
- Ability to fluently navigate various electronic databases and document management systems.
- Working knowledge of Relativity and other e-discovery applications such as TextMap and CaseMap.
- Knowledge of Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of relevant Firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems.
- Strong research skills and proficiency in using various research tools, including the Internet, Westlaw, LexisNexis, PACER, SEC/EDGAR and other court-related websites and/or media and financial services.
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational and planning skills.
- Flexibility to travel as required.
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of five years of experience in a legal assistant position or a position requiring similar skillset, expertise and experience.
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, please note that all newly-hired personnel in the United States must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of employment.