Senior Legal Assistant – Litigation (Paralegal)
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP (Skadden) has forged a reputation as one of the most prestigious law firms in the world. By relying on innovation, intellect, teamwork and tenacity, our lawyers deliver the highest quality advice and novel solutions to our clients' legal issues. We are recognized as a global powerhouse for complex transactions, litigation/controversy issues, and regulatory matters, as well as for the open, collaborative relationships we build with clients. Our attorneys, who reflect diverse backgrounds and perspectives, collaborate seamlessly across 50-plus practices and 21 offices in the world’s major financial centers.
We are seeking a Senior Legal Assistant – Litigation (Paralegal) to join our Firm. Within this position, you will be responsible for assisting the Litigation practice area attorneys and case teams in all phases and aspects of Litigation work. This position will be based in our Wilmington office and has a hybrid in-office/remote working schedule.
- Assists with preparation of and filing/serving of court documents electronically via File & ServeXpress and PACER CM/ECF.
- Provides support throughout all phases of discovery, including document review, production and depositions.
- Assists with preparation for interviews, depositions, hearings, trials and/or client meetings.
- Proofreads motions, letters and other documents.
- Reviews motions, briefs and other court papers prior to filing, including cite-checking, Shepardizing and document formatting.
- Prepares and handles technical, complex filings, including confidential filing procedures and numerous exhibits.
- Drafts court papers including one-page motions, proposed orders, certificates of service, entries of appearance, transmittal affidavits, letters, verifications to complaints.
- Coordinates with managing law clerks and others to arrange for deadline reminders and distribution of court filings.
- Creates and organizes materials for hearings, such as casebooks and briefing binders.
- Runs searches, codes and pulls documents in Relativity databases.
- Prepares and finalizes privilege and redaction logs.
- Manages numerous deadlines by prioritizing tasks and delegating as necessary.
- Stays up-to-date on court rules and filing requirements.
- Handles advanced, complex projects.
- Ensures that all Litigation case files are maintained within Department-approved protocols and case management systems, and seeks to improve workflows regarding storage and recall of electronic and paper files.
- Organizes and manages electronic and paper files.
- Maintains the integrity of client files.
- Performs non-legal research using various research tools, including the Internet, Westlaw, LexisNexis, PACER, SEC/EDGAR and other media and financial services sites, and/or other court-related websites for case law, statutes, articles, books, etc.
- Assists partners, associates and other legal assistants across offices, practice areas and throughout departments, as needed.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Working knowledge of Delaware Court of Chancery, Supreme and Superior courts rules and procedures
- Working knowledge of Federal Court rules and procedures, including civil and criminal rules
- Demonstrated ability with complex court filings, in both paper and electronic (e-filing) formats
- Advanced knowledge of Excel
- Ability to fluently navigate various electronic databases and document management systems
- Working knowledge of Relativity and other e-discovery applications such as TextMap and CaseMap
- Knowledge of Firm operation, policies and procedures
- Knowledge of relevant Firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Strong research skills and proficiency in using various research tools, including the Internet, Westlaw, LexisNexis, PACER, SEC/EDGAR and other court-related websites and/or media and financial services
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational and planning skills
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Ability to assume responsibility for assigned projects and tasks
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Flexibility to travel as required
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of five years of experience in a legal assistant position or a position requiring similar skillset, expertise and experience
Culture & Life at Skadden
What makes Skadden special is our people and the culture, community and spirit of collaboration we have created. We believe in teamwork and inspiring each other to be our best in an atmosphere that promotes professionalism and excellence in all that we do. We know that inclusion, equity and drawing on the strength of a wide spectrum of diverse talent only make us better and is vital to the firm's success. Our goal is for everyone at the firm to enjoy a challenging career with opportunities for development and growth and to support the well-being of our attorneys and professional staff.
The overall well-being of our team is important to us. We offer generous benefits to help you achieve wellness in all areas of your life.
- Competitive salaries and year-end discretionary bonuses.
- Comprehensive health care (medical, dental, vision), savings plan/401(k) and voluntary benefits.
- Generous paid time off.
- Paid leave options, including parental.
- In-classroom, remote, and on-demand learning and professional development opportunities.
- Robust well-being classes and programs.
- Opportunities to give back and make an impact in local communities.
For further details, please visit: https://www.skadden.com/careers/staff/employee-benefits
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Skadden EEO and Affirmative Action Policy
Applicants Have Rights Under Federal Employment Law
In accordance with the Transparency in Coverage Rule, click here to review machine-readable files made available by UnitedHealthcare.