Sara Brazao Ferreira represents private equity firms, public companies, REITs, financial institutions, sovereign wealth funds and various other clients in complex real estate matters across all asset classes. Ms. Brazao Ferreira regularly advises on acquisitions and dispositions of real estate assets, including hospitality, retail centers, commercial office buildings and multi-asset portfolios; financing transactions, including senior mortgage, mezzanine and construction financing; commercial leasing transactions; and the formation and unwinding of joint ventures.
Ms. Brazao Ferreira’s recent experience includes representing:
- QIC in various transactions, including its $3.175 billion acquisition of a portfolio of regional shopping malls;
- Apartment Investment and Management Company in its $10.4 billion reverse spin-off of Apartment Income REIT Corp.;
- Ares Management in connection with:
- its $175 million construction financing of a luxury beachfront development in Maui, Hawaii;
- its formation of a joint venture with a sovereign wealth fund investor; and
- a $260 million sale of a majority ownership interest in a development asset to a sovereign wealth fund;
- Amherst Holdings in various dispositions of single-family residence portfolios, including a sale to Altisource Residential, L.P. valued at over $100 million;
- Genesis HealthCare, Inc. in its restructuring of approximately $256 million of debt and operations of 51 facilities leased with Welltower;
- a private equity firm in a $65 million mezzanine financing secured by a luxury hotel and resort in Los Cabos, Mexico;
- HCP, Inc. in the formation of a $605 million joint venture with an institutional investor, including the acquisition of a $285 million medical office portfolio and its $350 million sale of a portfolio of senior living assets;
- Pattern Energy in its $1.7 billion debt and tax equity financing for the Western Spirit wind project and transmission line in New Mexico;
- Brookfield Renewable in its $733 million sale of a portfolio of wind energy projects to NextEra Energy Partners;
- Ontario Power Generation in its $298 million acquisition of Eagle Creek Renewable Energy;
- LaSalle Investment Management in its $218 million sale of 580 California Street in San Francisco; and
- numerous other clients, including AustralianSuper, The RMR Group, Silverstein Properties, Inc., Terraform Power, Talen Energy, Centro Properties Group, The McClatchy Company, Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Inc., MSD Capital, L.P., WEC Energy Group, Gannett Co. Inc. and Yahoo/Altaba in various acquisitions, dispositions, financings, investments, joint ventures, developments and leasing transactions.
Ms. Brazao Ferreira also advises on various traditional and alternative energy transactions, including the acquisition, disposition, development and financing of wind and solar energy projects and transmission facilities. She has been involved in a variety of pro bono engagements, including advising on leasing and financing transactions on behalf of charter schools and various nonprofit organizations, Holocaust survivor reparations cases, immigration matters on behalf of asylum seekers and Innocence Project casework.