James W. Brown represents domestic and foreign corporations and individuals in complex litigation involving a wide range of commercial matters.
Mr. Brown's experience includes federal and state court litigation and appeals, as well as arbitration and mediation. He has represented clients in the areas of securities fraud, breaches of fiduciary duty, commercial contract disputes, intellectual property disputes and various shareholder class actions. In such matters he has represented clients from diverse sectors, including financial services, franchising, biotechnology, telecommunications and manufacturing.
Representative matters include:
- securities litigation throughout the United States, defending issuers of publicly-traded securities including Cendant Corporation; Nice Systems, Ltd.; Philip Services Corp.; and Tower Air, Inc.;
- representation of a national bank in arbitration against the corporation to which it had outsourced its data management operations, based upon allegations that the hardware and software failed to perform as specified;
- representation of Viacom and Luxottica Group S.p.A. in post-closing adjustment disputes;
- defense against claims that trade secrets underlying a new telecommunications product had been misappropriated, requiring a highly detailed inquiry into the technology underlying the product’s proprietary application specific integrated circuits;
- defense of Century 21 Real Estate Corporation against the claims of a nationwide putative class of franchisee real-estate brokerages; and
- representation of a biotechnology manufacturer in an arbitration against its worldwide distributor after its diagnostic product failed to achieve expected market penetration, requiring a deep understanding of the medicine and science underlying the product.
Mr. Brown also devotes significant time to pro bono activities, including representing charitable organizations in disputes with their vendors and in responding to subpoenas.
- J.D., Rutgers School of Law, 1992 (Managing Editor, Rutgers Law Review)
- B.A., Rutgers University, 1989
- New York
- New Jersey