Geraldine de Vasconcelos Lopes focuses on all aspects of EU and international competition law, including merger control, abuse of dominance, cartels, state aid and antitrust compliance issues.
Ms. Lopes has experience advising multinational corporations on complex multijurisdictional merger control matters. She also has been involved in various antitrust investigations before the European Commission and the Portuguese Competition Authority, as well as in appeal proceedings before the EU General Court. She also counsels clients on matters involving compliance programs.
Among her recent experience, Ms. Lopes has advised:
- a global non-GAFAM media service in relation to Digital Markets Act matters;
- interveners in the Google Android and Adsense appeals pending before the EU General Court;
- ABB Ltd (Switzerland) on the antitrust aspects of its US$7.8 billion sale of a 80.1% stake in its Power Grids division to Hitachi, Ltd. (Japan);
- CommScope Holding Company, Inc. on the antitrust aspects of its US$7.4 billion acquisition of ARRIS International plc.;
- DuPont de Nemours, Inc. on the US$11 billion divestiture of a majority of its Mobility & Materials segment to Celanese Corporation;
- Rockwell Collins, Inc. on its US$30 billion acquisition by United Technologies Corporation;
- Visa Inc. on its proposed but terminated US$5.3 billion acquisition of Plaid Inc.; and
- Willis Towers Watson on its:
- proposed but terminated US$30 billion acquisition by Aon plc.; and
- US$4 billion sale of Willis Re to Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.
Prior to joining Skadden, Ms. Lopes worked in the Cartel Unit of the European Commission’s Directorate-General for Competition and in the Lisbon office of a well-known Portuguese law firm.
- LL.M., King's College London, 2013
- LL.M., Católica Global School of Law, 2012
- LL.B., The Catholic University of Portugal, 2011
- Brussels (EU - list)