Gian Diego Pini’s practice covers all aspects of EU, international and Italian antitrust and competition law, including multijurisdictional merger control, antitrust litigation, cartel investigations, abuse of dominance and antitrust compliance.
Dr. Pini has significant experience assisting multinational corporations in high-profile and complex deals requiring antitrust clearance, both in Europe and around the world. He has also represented clients in cartel investigations, including with respect to immunity and leniency applications, and abuse of dominance cases before the European Commission and the Italian Competition Authority, and in appeal proceedings before the European courts. Dr. Pini regularly advises clients on the antitrust aspects of commercial practices, including joint ventures and cooperation agreements, license and distribution agreements, rebates, compliance programs and damages claims. He is part of Skadden’s Italian practice that repeatedly has been named as TopLegal’s Best Italian Desk.
Recent merger control work includes advising, among others:
- Becton, Dickinson and Company on its acquisition of C.R. Bard;
- HP Inc. on its acquisition of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd’s printer business;
- Armstrong World Industries, Inc. on the sale of its EMEA and Pacific Rim businesses to Knauf International GmbH;
- Qlik on its acquisition by Thoma Bravo, LLC, following Qlik’s review of strategic alternatives;
- Coty Inc. on its acquisition of ghd;
- Corning Incorporated on its acquisition of the Communication Markets Division of 3M; and
- Castik Capital S.a.r.l. on its acquisition of ipan Group and Delegate.
Dr. Pini completed part of his studies at ESADE University of Barcelona and part of his Ph.D. at the University of California, Berkeley. Prior to joining Skadden, he worked in other leading international law firms and in the financial services unit of the Directorate-General for Competition.
He serves as an adjunct professor of antitrust law at Bocconi University School of Law and publishes regularly in professional and academic journals.