Owen Ross focuses his practice on transactions involving insurance companies, reinsurance and regulatory matters in the life and non-life sectors.
His experience includes advising:
- Phoenix Group on its acquisition of Abbey Life from Deutsche Bank AG for £935 million, in respect of the transaction documentation and the connected rights issue;
- Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Co., Ltd. (part of the MS&AD Group) on its takeover of Amlin for £3.5 billion;
- Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Co., Ltd. on various internal matters, including the combination of its two Lloyd’s syndicates and the reorganisation of its Lloyd’s businesses;
- Endurance Specialty Holdings Ltd. on its pending US$6.3 billion merger with Sompo Holdings, Inc.;
- Liberty Mutual Group Inc. on its pending US$3 billion acquisition of Ironshore Inc; and
- various life insurers on a range of longevity risk reinsurance transactions and structured reinsurance transactions.
His experience prior to joining Skadden includes advising:
- Prudential plc on its purchase of a Ghanaian life insurer;
- Hyperion on the regulatory elements of its combination with R.K. Harrison;
- the transferor in relation to the transfer of £4 billion of pensions and insurance assets by way of a court-sanctioned insurance business transfer;
- Goldman Sachs on the regulatory elements of its investment in Hastings Insurance Group;
- Saga plc on its purchase of Bennetts, the motor bike insurance distributor; and
- Countrywide plc on its flotation on the London Stock Exchange.