Owen Ross is an associate in Skadden’s London corporate team and a member of the firm’s Insurance Group and global financial institutions practice. Mr. Ross focuses on insurance matters, as well as the regulatory issues involved in transactional work and the insurance sector generally.
His experience includes advising:
- Phoenix Group on its acquisition of Abbey Life from Deutsche Bank AG for £935 million, in respect of the transaction documentation and the connected rights issue;
- Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Co., Ltd. (part of the MS&AD Group) on its takeover of Amlin for £3.5 billion;
- Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Co., Ltd. on various internal matters, including the combination of its two Lloyd’s syndicates and the reorganisation of its Lloyd’s businesses;
- Endurance Specialty Holdings Ltd. on its pending US$6.3 billion merger with Sompo Holdings, Inc.;
- Liberty Mutual Group Inc. on its pending US$3 billion acquisition of Ironshore Inc; and
- various life insurers on a range of longevity risk reinsurance transactions and structured reinsurance transactions.
His experience prior to joining Skadden includes advising:
- Prudential plc on its purchase of a Ghanaian life insurer;
- Hyperion on the regulatory elements of its combination with R.K. Harrison;
- the transferor in relation to the transfer of £4 billion of pensions and insurance assets by way of a court-sanctioned insurance business transfer;
- Goldman Sachs on the regulatory elements of its investment in Hastings Insurance Group;
- Saga plc on its purchase of Bennetts, the motor bike insurance distributor; and
- Countrywide plc on its flotation on the London Stock Exchange.