Owen Ross focuses his practice on transactions involving insurance companies, as well as reinsurance and regulatory matters in the life and non-life insurance sectors.
Mr. Ross recently was recognised as an Associate to Watch in Chambers UK 2019’s Insurance section.
His recent experience includes advising:
- Phoenix Group Holdings in its:
- £2.9 billion acquisition of Standard Life Assurance Limited from Standard Life Aberdeen plc, alongside the related long-term strategic partnership arrangements; and
- acquisition of Abbey Life from Deutsche Bank AG for £935 million, in respect of the transaction documentation and the connected rights issue;
- XL Group Ltd. in its US$15.3 billion merger with AXA SA;
- funds managed by Stone Point Capital LLC, along with Barry D. Zyskind, chairman and CEO of AmTrust Financial Services, Inc., George Karfunkel and Leah Karfunkel, in their proposed joint acquisition of the remaining stake in AmTrust that the Karfunkel-Zyskind family does not already own or control;
- TDR Capital LLP and MGM Advantage Holdings Limited in the sale of the MGM group of companies to Canada Life;
- Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Co., Ltd. (part of the MS&AD Group) in:
- its takeover of Amlin for £3.5 billion; and
- various internal matters, including the combination of its two Lloyd’s syndicates and the reorganisation of its Lloyd’s businesses;
- Endurance Specialty Holdings Ltd. in its US$6.3 billion merger with Sompo Holdings, Inc. (this transaction was named a 2017 Deal of the Year by Asia Business Law Journal);
- Liberty Mutual Group Inc. in its US$3 billion acquisition of Ironshore Inc; and
- various life insurers on a range of longevity risk reinsurance transactions and structured reinsurance transactions.
His experience prior to joining Skadden includes advising:
- Prudential plc in its purchase of a Ghanaian life insurer;
- Hyperion in the regulatory elements of its combination with R.K. Harrison;
- the transferor in relation to the £4 billion court-sanctioned insurance business transfer of pensions and insurance assets;
- Goldman Sachs in the regulatory elements of its investment in Hastings Insurance Group;
- Saga plc in its purchase of Bennetts, a motorbike insurance distributor; and
- Countrywide plc in its flotation on the London Stock Exchange.