Virginia F. Milstead has a broad commercial litigation practice, representing clients in both federal and state courts, with a particular emphasis on securities and takeover litigation, director misconduct and related claims. She has represented clients in matters involving federal securities laws, duties of corporate directors, civil RICO, unfair business practices, and various other contract and tort clams. Among others, Ms. Milstead has represented:
- Nationwide Health Properties, Inc. and certain of its officers and directors in litigation arising from Nationwide’s merger with Ventas, Inc., resulting in a dismissal with prejudice and a favorable decision on an issue of first impression under Maryland law.
- UNC Lear Services, Inc. and Lear Siegler Services, Inc. in a successful defense at trial and before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit against breach of contract and civil RICO claims brought by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Valeant Pharmaceuticals International and certain of its directors and officers in the favorable resolution of class actions brought by shareholders in connection with the proposed $3.3 billion merger of Valeant and Biovail.
- certain former outside directors of Countrywide Financial Corporation in securities, derivative and ERISA litigations.
- Fortress Investment Group, Inc. in the successful dismissal of an action arising from loans a hedge fund made to assist in financing films.
- the founder of a casino in Las Vegas in a successful defense at trial against claims for fraud and invasion of privacy brought by the founder’s former spouse.
- American Land Lease, Inc. in successfully preventing attempts in state and federal court to enjoin the pending $438 million acquisition by Greene Court Partners, LLC.
- Tharaldson Motels, Inc.’s Employee Stock Ownership Plan, its committee and the individual directors of Tharaldson Motels, Inc. in a successful dismissal with prejudice of a complaint alleging breach of fiduciary duties under ERISA.
Ms. Milstead has been a speaker at various conferences and bar events. In addition to speaking at events hosted by the Antitrust and Unfair Business Practices and Business and Corporations Law sections of the Los Angeles County Bar Association, she has participated in seminars related to practice in federal court, including serving as a panelist at the Third Annual William French Lecture at Pepperdine University School of Law, featuring retired Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor; and on three occasions she has been a panelist at the Byrne Judicial Clerkship Institute. Ms. Milstead also has organized and conducted new lawyer training related to class actions.
J.D., Pepperdine University School of Law, 2004 (summa cum laude, Literary and Citation Editor, Pepperdine Law Review)
B.A., Abilene Christian University, 1999 (summa cum laude)
Law Clerk, Hon. Arthur L. Alarcón, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (2005-2006)
Law Clerk, Hon. Florence-Marie Cooper, U.S. District Court for the Central District of California (2004-2005)