Diversity and inclusion are fundamental to our success as a global law firm, giving us a wealth of different perspectives from which to address our clients’ most pressing issues across a wide spectrum of industries, geographies and cultures. We strive to develop initiatives at Skadden to specifically address diversity and inclusion goals — including for recruiting, professional development, attorney retention and advancement, and cross-cultural awareness — while also continually inculcating inclusion principles into the fabric of the firm.
This infrastructure includes our global and local Diversity & Inclusion Committees and women’s initiative; the unwavering, visible imprimatur of firm leadership; full-time administrative staff; and mechanisms for input and feedback from our personnel. Most importantly, our diversity and inclusion efforts help foster a community at Skadden that is built on the idea that similarities and differences are a source of our strength.
Skadden’s diversity and inclusion efforts are far-reaching within the firm. Our global D&I initiative and women’s initiative are chaired by partners who work closely with our executive partner, local office committees and administrative professionals to develop and sustain recruitment, development and retention strategies intended to increase diversity at all levels of the firm and foster an inclusive workplace culture.
Skadden maintains local Diversity & Inclusion Committees in Asia Pacific (Hong Kong and Tokyo), Europe (Paris, London and Brussels) and the U.S. (all offices).
- For the 11th time in 12 years, named one of the Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation and received a 100 percent on the 2020 Corporate Equality Index.
- Recipient of the Asian American Bar Association of New York’s 2020 Law Firm Diversity Award.
- In 2020, we received the Women in Law Empowerment Forum’s Gold Standard Certification for the tenth consecutive year, awarded to “law firms that have integrated women into the highest leadership positions in the firm.”
- Recognized as both a 2019 Top Performer and a 2019 Compass Award winner at the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity’s (LCLD) annual meeting in Washington, D.C. Earning both recognitions signals our commitment to building a more diverse organization and a more inclusive legal profession.
- Recognized as a Top Firm for Minorities in the 2019 Vault Law Firm Diversity Rankings.
- Visa selected Skadden as a 2017 All Star Firm for exemplifying the company’s values of “high-quality work, responsiveness and commitment to diversity.”
- Executive Partner Eric Friedman received the Diversity & Inclusion Champion Award from the New York City Bar Association in 2012. He is the only law firm managing partner to receive the award.
- Inaugural law firm to receive the NAACP Legal Defense Fund’s Equal Justice Award for our work and partnership over the years with LDF, particularly under the leadership of Joe Flom and with the Skadden Fellows Program (2011).