Diversity and inclusion are fundamental to our success as a global law firm, giving us a wealth of different perspectives from which to address our clients’ most pressing issues across a wide spectrum of industries, geographies and cultures. We strive to develop initiatives at Skadden to specifically address diversity and inclusion goals — including for recruiting, professional development, attorney retention and advancement, and cross-cultural awareness — while also continually inculcating inclusion principles into the fabric of the firm.
This infrastructure includes our global and local Diversity & Inclusion Committees and women’s initiative; the unwavering, visible imprimatur of firm leadership; full-time administrative staff; and mechanisms for input and feedback from our personnel. Most importantly, our diversity and inclusion efforts help foster a community at Skadden that is built on the idea that similarities and differences are a source of our strength.
Skadden’s diversity and inclusion efforts are far-reaching within the firm. Three partners co-chair our global D&I initiative and work closely with local office Diversity & Inclusion Committees, our global women's initiative committee and administrative professionals to develop and sustain recruitment, development and retention strategies intended to increase diversity at all levels of the firm and foster an inclusive workplace culture.
Skadden maintains local Diversity & Inclusion Committees in Asia Pacific (Hong Kong and Tokyo), Europe (London and Brussels) and the U.S. (Boston, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, Palo Alto, Washington, D.C. and Wilmington).
- Recognized as both a 2019 Top Performer and a 2019 Compass Award winner at the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity’s (LCLD) annual meeting in Washington, D.C. Earning both recognitions signals our commitment to building more diverse organizations and a more inclusive legal profession.
- For the ninth time in 10 years, named one of the "Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality" by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation and received a 100 percent on the 2018 Corporate Equality Index.
- Visa has selected Skadden as a 2017 "All Star Firm" for exemplifying the company's values of "high-quality work, responsiveness and commitment to diversity."
- Named to the ALB 2016 Diversity List, Asian Legal Business' list of 10 law firms in Asia that are promoting a more inclusive workplace.
- In 2019, received the Women in Law Empowerment Forum's Gold Standard Certification for the ninth consecutive year, awarded to "law firms that have integrated women into the highest leadership positions in the firm."
- Cited by The American Lawyer in its 2015 "Diversity Scorecard" for having the highest number of Black/African-American attorneys, the fourth-highest number of Asian-American attorneys and second or fourth-highest number of Hispanic/Latino attorneys of the more than 200 firms that have been listed in the scorecard for the past several years.
- Executive Partner Eric Friedman received the "Diversity & Inclusion Champion Award" from the New York City Bar Association in 2012. He was the only law firm managing partner to receive the award.
- First law firm to receive the NAACP Legal Defense Fund's "Equal Justice Award" for our work and partnership over the years with LDF, particularly under the leadership of Joe Flom and with the Skadden Fellows Program (2011).