Based in New York, Washington, D.C. and London, Skadden’s Insurance Mergers and Acquisitions Group features practitioners with leading market experience in transactions involving insurance and reinsurance companies in all areas of M&A insurance and related financial services, including property and casualty, life and annuity, health, title, and specialty insurance and retirement benefits.
We represent global and domestic insurers and reinsurers (both public and private), captives, private equity firms, investment banks, hedge funds and other institutions in a wide range of insurance transactions. Skadden also regularly counsels clients in connection with reinsurance transactions, acquisitions and dispositions of insurance brokers, third-party administrators and MGAs, and the formation of joint ventures and captive reinsurers.
Skadden’s Insurance M&A Group leverages the substantial knowledge and experience of Skadden’s global corporate, capital markets, tax, litigation and employee benefits practices, while covering the full spectrum of insurance-related transactions, including:
- acquisitions and dispositions structured as reinsurance;
- private equity investments;
- corporate governance advice;
- private asset and stock purchases;
- corporate preparedness advice;
- proxy contests and related settlements;
- demutualizations/sponsored demutualizations;
- public and private mergers and amalagamations;
- financial advisor representations;
- regulatory filings and approvals;
- going-private transactions;
- insurance company formation and structuring;
- renewal rights transactions;
- insurance and reinsurance block transfers;
- joint ventures;
- self-tender offers;
- loss portfolio transfers; and
- subsidiary and business carve-outs.
Skadden’s insurance transactional experience is backed by a fully integrated and dedicated insurance regulatory team with the ability to manage and oversee transactional regulatory processes with complex cross-jurisdictional U.S. and international components. We closely interact with regulators and local counsel in relevant jurisdictions. Because our transactional partners are fully engaged in regulatory matters, we have the ability to anticipate potential regulatory issues during the structuring phase of a transaction and to provide seamless service unique solutions to the overall transaction process.
Although, we often handle the largest, most complex and transformational M&A insurance transactions, we also regularly represent clients in the small-to-midsize market in mergers and acquisitions, strategic investments, capital markets and reinsurance transactions.
Skadden was named the winner of the 2015 Legal 500 US Award for Insurance. We were ranked in the top tier by U.S. News — Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" 2015 and among the top firms for insurance by Chambers USA 2016.