Ms. Aguiar has represented clients in a variety of industries, as both plaintiffs and defendants, in cases involving breach of contract, mergers and acquisitions, employment, fraud, fiduciary, trusts and estates, copyrights, false advertising, trade secret, and class action litigation. She also regularly litigates and advises on private wealth law issues and significant trust and estate matters on behalf of individual and institutional trustees, executors, banks, beneficiaries, family offices and high-net-worth clients.
Some of the more significant matters in which she has been involved include:
- litigation counsel for LVMH SE in expedited litigation arising from its $15.8 billion acquisition of Tiffany & Co. in Delaware Chancery Court;
- trial counsel for Noble Corporation in a $1.7 billion suit alleging fraudulent transfer, breach of fiduciary duty, and aiding and abetting in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware;
- litigation counsel to a high-profile hedge fund manager in a dispute with the firm he founded, resulting in a week-long trial before a JAMS panel;
- trial counsel for NextEra Energy in a federal breach of contract case against the Nuclear Energy Institute in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida;
- litigation counsel for APTIM Corp. in a series of cases asserting theft of confidential information, breach of contract and tortious interference — in multiple venues including state courts, federal district courts, a federal appellate court, the U.S. Supreme Court and AAA arbitration;
- counsel for The New York Review of Books regarding several key employment-related matters;
- trial counsel for International Flavors & Fragrances, Inc. in a federal case involving allegations of misappropriation of trade secrets, unfair competition and breach of contract in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey;
- litigation counsel for Fresh Del Monte Produce, Inc. in various lawsuits and arbitrations to protect its global trademarks, licensing rights and supply contracts, including (i) a successful jury trial in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York against Del Monte Corporation involving false advertising and breach-of-contract claims; and (ii) a successful ICDR arbitration securing Fresh Del Monte’s rights to trademarks for new range of international businesses;
- trial counsel for pharmaceutical company Impax Laboratories, Inc. in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York;
- defended Verizon Wireless in expedited litigation in the U.S. District Court for the District of Georgia against allegations of false advertising;
- member of the trial team in federal and state class action litigation in California for a global automobile manufacturer regarding widely publicized vehicle recalls;
- trial counsel for Spectrum Brands resulting in a bench trial in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Texas;
- defended MGA Entertainment in the Mattel v. MGA three-month jury trial in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, a $1.8 billion case involving copyright infringement and various state law tort claims;
- counsel to the estate of SySyms in a long-running will contest, trust litigation and related disputes;
- counsel for Jakks Pacific involving a joint venture agreement related to the design and development of video games, resulting in an AAA arbitration trial; and
- trial counsel to an aviation security company in an action against the federal government asserting a takings claim under the Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, culminating in a bench trial in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
Ms. Aguiar is the president/chair of the Skadden Foundation, which runs the Skadden Fellowship Program.
Ms. Aguiar has received numerous industry awards during her career and has earned recognition as a standout in her field. She repeatedly has been selected for inclusion in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in Litigation: General Commercial (NY), and was previously shortlisted by Chambers for its Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year award. She also is a Fellow in the Litigation Counsel of America (an invitation-only trial lawyers honorary society) and has been named in The Best Lawyers in America (2018-21), as well as a Rising Star and a Future Star in Benchmark Litigation. Ms. Aguiar also repeatedly has been cited by the Latin America Corporate Counsel Association (LACCA) as a leading litigation practitioner. Additionally, she was named as one of Crain’s New York Business’ 2021 Notable Women in Law.
- Chair, Current Developments in Federal Civil Practice, Practising Law Institute, Annually 2014-present
- Pretrial Practice, Practising Law Institute, Annually 2016-present
- Commercial Litigation Academy, Trial Panel, New York State Bar Association, October 2019
- Corporate Counsel, Annual General Counsel Conference, September 2018