Ms. Aguiar has represented clients in a variety of industries, as both plaintiffs and defendants, in cases involving false advertising, copyright, trademark, trade secret, breach of contract, fraud and fiduciary duty litigation, and employment related disputes.
Ms. Aguiar also regularly litigates and advises on private wealth law issues and significant trust and estate matters on behalf of individual and institutional trustees, executors, banks, beneficiaries, family offices and high-net-worth clients. She has handled a broad array of disputes in Surrogate’s and other courts, including probate contests, trust litigation and accounting matters.
Some of the more significant matters in which she has been involved include:
- trial counsel for NextEra Energy in a federal breach of contract case against the Nuclear Energy Institute;
- litigation counsel for APTIM Corp. in a series of cases asserting theft of confidential information, breach of contract and tortious interference -- in multiple venues including state courts, federal district courts, a federal appellate court, the U.S. Supreme Court and AAA arbitration;
- counsel for The New York Review of Books regarding several key employment-related matters;
- trial counsel for International Flavors & Fragrances, Inc. in a case involving allegations of misappropriation of trade secrets, unfair competition and breach of contract;
litigation counsel for Fresh Del Monte Produce, Inc. in various ongoing lawsuits and arbitrations to protect its global trademarks, licensing rights and supply contracts, including a successful ICDR arbitration securing Fresh Del Monte’s rights to trademarks for new range of Middle East-based businesses and a successful jury trial against Del Monte Corporation involving false advertising and breach-of-contract claims.
counsel for Endo Pharmaceuticals in an action against Chartwell Therapeutics, arising out of a generic pharmaceutical distribution agreement;
trial counsel for pharmaceutical company Impax Laboratories, Inc. in the Southern District of New York, resulting in a favorable settlement of the litigation;
counsel to the estate of Sy Syms in a long-running will contest, trust litigation, and related disputes;
member of the trial team in federal and state class action litigation in California for a global automobile manufacturer regarding widely publicized vehicle recalls;
defended Verizon Wireless in expedited litigation in the District of Georgia against allegations of false advertising;
defended MGA Entertainment in the Mattel v. MGA three-month jury trial in the Central District of California, a $1.8 billion case involving copyright infringement and various state law tort claims;
counsel for Jakks Pacific in a AAA arbitration involving a joint venture agreement related to the design and development of video games; and
trial counsel to an aviation security company in an action against the federal government asserting a takings claim under the Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, culminating in a bench trial in the United States Court of Federal Claims.
Over the years, she also has done a number of internal investigations and compliance reviews, concerning allegations of securities fraud, accounting fraud, violations of the FCPA and insider trading.
Ms. Aguiar is the chairperson of the Skadden Foundation, which runs the Skadden Fellowship Program.
She has repeatedly been selected for inclusion in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. Ms. Aguiar was shortlisted by Chambers for its Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year award in 2016. She also is a Fellow in the Litigation Counsel of America (an invitation-only trial lawyers honorary society) and was named a Rising Star in the 2016-2018 editions of Benchmark Litigation. Ms. Aguiar also has repeatedly been cited by the Latin America Corporate Counsel Association (LACCA) as a leading litigation practitioner.
- Corporate Counsel, Annual General Counsel Conference, September 2018
- Co-Chair, Current Developments in Federal Civil Practice, Practising Law Institute, Annually 2014-2019
- Pretrial Practice, Practising Law Institute, Annually 2016-2019
- Commercial Litigation Academy, New York State Bar Association, April 2019