Laura Bernescu focuses her practice on complex civil litigation, as well as internal and government investigations. Ms. Bernescu has experience advising clients on various stages of litigation, including the pleading phase, pretrial motion practice, discovery, trial preparation and settlement negotiations. She has represented clients in a variety of civil cases, including:
- a publicly traded company and its officers and directors in a federal securities fraud class action;
- former officers and directors of a for-profit corporation in arbitrations arising from the corporation’s closure;
- a public state university in several complex mass tort and constitutional rights cases;
- a public state university in several class actions brought by former student-athletes claiming breach of contract; and
- a financial services institution in high-profile antitrust litigation.
Ms. Bernescu has counseled on an array of pro bono matters. In 2019, Ms. Bernescu was profiled in Chicago Lawyer Magazine for her pro bono work on behalf of a victim of gender violence. She also has represented a pretrial detainee in the successful resolution of an action brought against a local jail for unlawful solitary confinement.
Ms. Bernescu serves as a mentor to junior associates and is active in the firm’s summer recruitment program for prospective associates, as well as other initiatives.
- J.D., The University of Chicago Law School, 2014 (with honors)
- B.A., Tufts University, 2011 (cum laude)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois