William Casey focuses his practice on transactional matters in the areas of intellectual property and privacy. He advises companies on a broad range of legal and business matters in connection with acquiring, selling, evaluating, licensing and protecting intellectual property assets.
Mr. Casey also has experience handling patent, trade secret and other intellectual property litigation, as well as complex civil matters.
His representative transactional matters include:
- Livongo in its $18.5 billion acquisition by Teladoc Health;
- Array BioPharma Inc. in its $11.4 billion acquisition by Pfizer Inc.;
- Cavium, Inc. in its $6 billion acquisition by Marvell Technology Group Ltd.;
- Intel Corporation in its $15.3 billion acquisition of Mobileye, N.V.; and
- Broadcom Corporation in its $37 billion sale to Avago Technologies Limited.
His representative litigation matters include:
- ZeniMax Media, Inc. and id Software LLC in a successful enforcement of intellectual property rights resulting in a $500 million jury verdict;
- Justice Robert M. Mallano, individually and on behalf of a class of more than 3,000 California judges, justices and judicial pensioners, in a successful declaratory judgment action, culminating in a California Supreme Court decision, relating to the underpayment of judicial salaries. Mr. Casey and the Skadden team received a 2019 California Lawyer Attorneys of the Year (CLAY) award from the Daily Journal in recognition of their successes in this case;
- SanDisk Corporation in a successful enforcement of a breach of patent license agreement resulting in a $28.5 million verdict; and
- Medtronic, Inc. as a defendant in a patent infringement suit in federal court and as petitioner in inter partes review proceedings involving endoluminal medical devices.
Prior to joining Skadden, Mr. Casey was an extern to the Hon. Charles R. Breyer of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California. He also served as an extern at the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Prior to law school, he worked as an engineer for several life sciences companies.