Luke J. Cole assists clients with matters involving the full spectrum of employment and labor
relations, from negotiating and drafting employment and independent contractor agreements
to advising on reductions in force, separation and release agreements and post-employment
Mr. Cole regularly advises clients across industries and sectors in connection with U.S.
and international transactions, including those that involve multinational workforces and
collective bargaining agreements. He particularly focuses on drafting non competition,
non disclosure and other restrictive covenant agreements that involve compliance with a
broad range of federal and state law requirements. Mr. Cole also frequently counsels clients
on restrictive covenant enforcement, compliance with laws regarding discrimination, wages
and hours and employee classification, and drafting and reviewing employee handbooks and
Examples of Mr. Cole’s representations include:
- Ball Corporation in its pending $5.6 billion sale of its aerospace business to BAE Systems
- JAB in its acquisition of a majority ownership stake in preventive care and pet insurance
provider Pumpkin Insurance Services Inc. from Zoetis Inc.
- Iora Health, Inc. in its acquisition by 1Life Healthcare, Inc.
- PPL Corporation in its $3.8 billion acquisition of The Narragansett Electric Company, the
largest electric and gas utility in Rhode Island
- Pandion Therapeutics in its $1.85 billion acquisition by a subsidiary of Merck & Co., Inc.
- Huron Consulting Group in its acquisitions of Unico Solution, an IT service management
company, and ForceIQ, a provider of a customer relationship management platform
- GS Acquisitions Holdings Corp., a special purpose acquisition company, in its $5.3 billion
acquisition of Vertiv Holdings LLC, a data center equipment and service provider
- a venture capital firm that invests in early career professional athletes in an investigation
into potential misappropriation of confidential information by former employees who went
to work for a competitor
- the New York Mets baseball club in its successful salary arbitration against player J.D.
Davis, the first salary arbitration win for the Mets in the team’s history
Mr. Cole’s pro bono representations also focus on employment law, including advising
not-for-profit organizations on employment agreements, workplace policies and contested
employment matters filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.