Ms. Corman’s litigation experience includes defending employers in both federal and state court in individual and class action wage and hour, discrimination, harassment and retaliation litigation, as well as in arbitration and mediation, including:
- class actions brought in state court on behalf of employees claiming to have been misclassified as exempt and on behalf of exempt and nonexempt employees claiming unpaid overtime and vacation wages and meal and rest break violations;
- a putative class action charging that an employer’s recognition of economic losses under its net profit-based bonus plan resulted in illegal deductions from employee pay;
- a class action by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission charging a popular local hotel with racially discriminatory recruitment and hiring practices; and
- obtaining summary adjudication of a former employee’s key claims against an entertainment industry trade association in a retaliatory discharge suit implicating high-profile movie industry figures.
Ms. Corman has represented clients before federal and state agencies, including the EEOC, state human rights agencies, the IRS and the U.S. Department of Labor, including:
- successfully settling a threatened race and sex harassment "affected class" action by the EEOC against a national restaurant employer;
- representing restaurant and retail employers in wage and hour compliance audits by state and federal departments of labor; and
- establishing the classification of workers as independent contractors before the IRS and various state employment tax agencies.
An important focus of Ms. Corman’s practice is prevention through counseling, compliance audits and training. Ms. Corman is a content adviser to an international business ethics, compliance and training organization and regularly consults with clients in training management regarding hiring practices, sexual harassment laws and other employment laws. In addition, she assists employers with developing workplace policies and procedures.
Ms. Corman regularly advises employers regarding employment contracts, arbitration agreements and restrictive covenants designed to prevent theft of trade secrets and protect their customer base, and assists in conducting workplace internal investigations and planning and implementing reductions in force. She has extensive experience in the employment aspects of business transactions, including conducting due diligence, drafting and negotiating employment, consulting and severance a greements, and structuring transitional services agreements. Among her recent matters, she represented Intel Corporation in its $4.2 billion spin-off and joint venture with TPG Capital, L.P. to form the independent cybersecurity company McAfee.
Ms. Corman has volunteered her time in a Los Angeles Superior Court pilot program titled Civil Referee Assisted Settlement Hearing (CRASH). The program uses volunteer lawyers to help resolve employment-related lawsuits through negotiation instead of in a courtroom.
Ms. Corman has been recognized in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, named one of the most powerful employment lawyers by Lawdragon, named to the Most Powerful Employment Attorneys list by Human Resource Executive, repeatedly listed in The Best Lawyers in America, listed among the Top Labor & Employment Attorneys in California by the Daily Journal and named one of the Most Influential Women Lawyers by the Los Angeles Business Journal. Ms. Corman was a key member of the deal teams recognized by the Daily Journal with California Lawyer Attorneys of the Year (CLAY) awards for innovative work on behalf of Broadcom Corporation in its acquisition by Avago Technologies (2016) and Intel Corporation in its acquisition of Mobileye N.V. (2018).
Panelist, "Practical Approaches to Gender Pay Audits," Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP, December 6, 2018
Panelist, "Equal Pay Audits: Current State of the Law," Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP, September 20, 2018
Panelist, "‘No Poaching Allowed?’ Navigation of Antitrust and Employment Guidelines Webinar," Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP, March 6, 2018
Panelist, "Managing Risk in the Whistleblower Nation," Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP, July 12, 2017
Panelist, "The Risk from Within: Handling Whistleblower Cases," Seventh Annual Pharmaceutical, Medical Device and Biotech Enforcement and Litigation Seminar, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP, February 8, 2017
Panelist, "Cybersecurity: A Live Cyberattack Tabletop Exercise," Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP, March 2, 2016
Panelist, "Getting Your Settlement Approved," JAMS, September 24, 2014
Panelist, "California Family Rights Act (CFRA)," National Employment Law Institute, July 16, 2014
Panelist, "Developments and Trends in E-Data: What to Look for When Employees Leave," Association of Corporate Counsel, June 1, 2012
Panelist, American Conference Institute’s 14th Annual National Forum on Wage and Hour Claims and Class Actions, January 30-31, 2012
Panelist, "Worker Classification Seminar," Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP, May 10, 2011