In his capital markets practice, Mr. Dapiran has advised on some of the largest and most complex initial public offerings in the Greater China market, raising in aggregate almost US$80 billion. He has particularly deep experience in the financial institutions area, having led IPOs on behalf of three of China’s “Big Four” banks (Agricultural Bank of China, China Construction Bank, and Industrial and Commercial Bank of China), People’s Insurance Company (Group) of China, China Cinda Asset Management and many other leading PRC financial institutions.
In his mergers and acquisitions practice, Mr. Dapiran has advised on inbound and outbound M&A, including advising Deutsche Bank on its strategic investment in Huaxia Bank, MAN SE on its strategic investment in Sinotruk, and CNOOC on its acquisition of Nexen, the largest-ever outbound acquisition by a Chinese corporate.
Mr. Dapiran’s experience (including his experience prior to joining Skadden) includes advising:
- Agricultural Bank of China on its US$22 billion IPO, the largest-ever Hong Kong IPO;
- the underwriters on the US$21 billion IPO of Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, at the time the world’s largest-ever IPO and the first simultaneous dual listing in Hong Kong and Shanghai;
- Postal Savings Bank of China on its US$7.4 billion Hong Kong IPO, the largest Hong Kong IPO in 2016;
- Xiaomi Corporation in its approximately US$5.4 billion initial public offering on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. This is the first-ever Hong Kong offering to adopt a dual-class share structure and the first to list under Hong Kong’s new regime for innovative technology companies;
- Meituan Dianping in its US$4.2 billion Hong Kong IPO;
- the underwriters on the US$3.4 billion IPO of China Everbright Bank, the largest Hong Kong IPO in 2013;
- People’s Insurance Company (Group) of China on its US$3.6 billion IPO, the largest Hong Kong IPO in 2011 and 2012 and named as IFLR’s Equity Deal of the Year;
- Auchan Retail S.A. in Alibaba’s US$2.88 billion investment in Auchan’s Hong Kong-listed subsidiary Sun Art Retail Group Ltd, and a strategic alliance between Auchan, Alibaba and Ruentex Group;
- China Cinda Asset Management on its US$2.8 billion Hong Kong IPO, which received the Legal Innovation in an IPO award from the Financial Times and the Equity Deal of the Year award from China Law & Practice in 2014;
- the underwriters on the US$1.96 billion IPO of Legend Holdings;
- China International Capital Corporation on its US$927 million Hong Kong IPO;
- Yixin Group Limited in its spin-off from Bitauto Holdings Limited (China) via a HK$6.77 billion (US$870 million) initial public offering of shares on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange;
- E-House (China) Holdings Limited in its HK$4.6 billion (US$591 million) initial public offering on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange;
- Innovent Biologics, Inc. in its US$421 million global offering and Hong Kong IPO;
- on Hong Kong IPOs by China Construction Bank, China Development Bank Financial Leasing, Yihai International, 3S Bio Inc., Qingdao Port International, China Galaxy Securities, Nexteer Automotive, China Nonferrous Mining Corporation, China Yongda Automobile Services, Xinjiang Goldwind Technology, China Longyuan Power, Yingde Gases, Want Want China Holding, China NT Pharma, SANY Heavy Equipment, China Huiyuan Juice, China Communications Services, Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation and China Oilfield Services;
- issuers and placing agents on Hong Kong Stock Exchange share placements, including advising Petrochina on its US$2.7 billion share placing and China Oilfield Services on its US$759 million share placing; and
- on Hong Kong-listed investment grade and high-yield debt issuances, including global debt offerings by CNOOC, the debut “dim sum” debt offering by Ford Motor Company, and high-yield debt offerings by Shimao Property, China Hongqiao and AES China Generating, among others.
Mr. Dapiran also has acted as corporate advisory counsel for numerous Fortune China 100 companies, including CNOOC, Agricultural Bank of China, China Construction Bank, People’s Insurance Company (Group) of China, New China Life Insurance, China Cinda Asset Management, Want Want China Holdings and China Non-ferrous Mining, among others.
Prior to joining Skadden, Mr. Dapiran was a corporate partner with a leading U.S.-based international law firm in Hong Kong, and prior to that he was the managing partner of the Beijing office of a U.K.-based international law firm. He has been listed as a leading practitioner by numerous industry publications, including the IFLR1000, The Legal 500 and Chambers, and was named one of the “New China Hands” leading lawyers in China by The American Lawyer.
Mr. Dapiran has lived in Hong Kong and China for over 20 years and is fluent in Mandarin.