Martin de Jong advises clients on a wide range of tax matters inherent in sophisticated transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, public and private debt and equity financings, spin-offs and dispositions.
Mr. de Jong’s selected representations include:
- Proofpoint in its $12.3 billion sale to Thoma Bravo;
- Total Produce plc in its proposed combination with Dole Food Company under a newly created, U.S.-listed company;
- EDP Renewables North America in the acquisition of a majority interest in the distributed solar platform of C2 Energy Capital;
- Bank of New York Mellon in a tax equity investment associated with the repowering of three wind projects;
- SK Hynix in its pending $9 billion acquisition of Intel’s memory business;
- DuPont de Nemours, Inc. in its:
- spin-off of its materials science division (now named Dow Inc.); and
- spin-off of its agriculture division (now named Corteva, Inc.) and the debut of DuPont as a stand-alone company;
- PayPal Holdings, Inc. in various matters, including its:
- $4 billion acquisition of Honey Science Corporation; and
- $400 million acquisition of Hyperwallet Systems Inc.;
- Livongo Health, Inc. in its $18.5 billion acquisition by Teladoc Health, Inc.
- Platinum Equity Advisors, LLC in its concurrent acquisitions of the distribution businesses of Deluxe Entertainment Services Inc. and CineVizion;
- SJW Group in its $1.1 billion acquisition of Connecticut Water Service, Inc.;
- Brookfield Renewable Partners L.P. in the $1.5 billion sale (enterprise value) of a 49.9% equity interest in an 852 MW portfolio of wind generating assets in the U.S. to a group of South Korean infrastructure investors;
- Sustainable Power Group, LLC (sPower) in the sale of a 24% stake in its 1.3 GW renewable energy portfolio to Ullico Inc. from The AES Corporation and affiliates of Alberta Investment Management Corporation;
- United Talent Agency in various matters, including numerous acquisitions and its sale of minority stakes in the agency to PSP and Investcorp;
- Zayo Group Holdings, Inc. in its $1.4 billion sale of zColo, including certain U.S. and European data center assets, to DataBank Holdings, Ltd.;
- Natera, Inc. in its $288 million Rule 144A offering of 2.25% convertible senior notes due 2027;
- PT Paiton Energy (Indonesia) in its $2 billion Rule 144A/Regulation S project bond issuance; and
- ZhongAn Online P&C Insurance Co., Ltd. in its $1.5 billion initial public offering of H shares on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
Mr. de Jong also maintains an active pro bono practice, representing individuals in front of the IRS and counseling nonprofit organizations in applying for and maintaining tax-exempt status.