Tim J. Gaffney’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, private equity and general corporate matters. Mr. Gaffney advises clients on a variety of U.S. and cross-border transactions involving financial institutions in the banking, insurance, financial technology and specialty lending sectors. He also regularly counsels clients on corporate governance, securities laws and other corporate issues.
Representative transactions include:
- DuPont in its $130 billion merger-of-equals transaction with The Dow Chemical Company;
- Worldpay, Inc. in its pending $43 billion merger with FIS;
- Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation in its $3.4 billion acquisition of American Railcar Leasing LLC from Icahn Enterprises L.P.;
- Citigroup Inc. in the sale of its consumer banking and credit card businesses in Brazil, to Itaú Unibanco Holding S.A., and in Colombia, to the Bank of Nova Scotia;
- Blackstone Group LP in its pending sale of Lendmark Financial Services LLC to Lightyear Capital LLC and the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board;
- Wells Fargo Bank in its $1.2 billion sale of its Institutional Retirement & Trust business to Principal Financial Group;
- Green Bancorp, Inc. in its $1 billion merger with Veritex Holdings, Inc.;
- OneMain Holdings, Inc. in the acquisition of a 40 percent stake in the company by an investor group led by Apollo Global Management;
- Cetera Financial Group in its sale to Genstar Capital;
- OceanFirst Financial Corp. in its $475 million acquisition of Sun Bancorp, Inc.;
- TPG and Calera Capital in the $165 million sale of Direct General Corporation to National General Holdings;
- Jefferies Financial Group in its $170 million sale of FastMatch, Inc., an operating company jointly held with Credit Suisse, to Euronext N.V.;
- Stone Point Capital in its acquisition of Kensington Vanguard Holdings, LLC; and
- Summit Financial Disclosure, LLC in its sale to Broadridge Financial Solutions, Inc.