Joseph Hone represents clients on a broad range of U.K. and international tax matters, with
particular emphasis on cross-border transactions. He has experience across the full spectrum
of international corporate, capital markets and fund matters. He regularly advises on mergers
and acquisitions, joint ventures, internal restructurings, debt and equity issuances, and the
establishment of hedge fund and private equity fund structures.
Mr. Hone also handles tax controversy matters and has worked on enquiries by the U.K.
revenue authorities, tax court cases, disclosure programmes, transfer pricing and settlement
His recent transaction highlights include advising:
- Adevinta ASA in its $9.2 billion acquisition of eBay’s classifieds business, creating the
world’s largest online classifieds company;
- Pfizer Inc. on the tax aspects of its consumer health care joint venture with GlaxoSmith-Kline that created the world’s largest maker of over-the-counter products;
- Citi in its platform fund formation and manager relationships;
- Perella Weinberg Partners in connection with its U.K. reorganisation and international structuring;
- The Coca-Cola Company in several acquisitions and advisory matters;
- Air Products & Chemicals Inc. in the tax-free spin-off of its materials technologies business into a separate, publicly owned company called Versum Materials, Inc.;
- Toto Wolff, an Austrian investor, in his acquisition of a significant minority stake in, and
appointment as executive director of, Mercedes-Benz Grand Prix Ltd, the company operating the Mercedes Formula 1 team;
The Middleby Corporation in several non-U.S. acquisitions;
- HSBC Securities (USA) Inc. as lead underwriter in multiple debt offerings by HSBC
- Phoenix Group Holdings in its £935 million acquisition of Abbey Life from Deutsche
Bank AG; and
- BTG Pactual Group S.A. in the US$1.6 billion spin-off of its commodity trading unit.
Mr. Hone is a member of the Skadden London tax team named Best International Tax Team
of the Year at the 2019 Tolley’s Taxation Awards. He also contributed to Skadden being
awarded Transatlantic Tax Team of the Year by The American Lawyer and by Legal Week at
the 2018 Transatlantic Legal Awards. He is an integral part of the Skadden Tax Group ranked
in Band 1 in Chambers Global for Global Tax and in Band 2 in World Tax.
Outside of his core practice, Mr. Hone regularly represents local Tower Hamlets residents on
a pro bono basis in the First-Tier Tribunal (Social Entitlement Chamber) in appeals against
decisions of the secretary of state for work and pensions concerning awards of government
welfare and disability benefits.