Micah Kegley concentrates his practice in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, securities law and general corporate matters. Mr. Kegley has represented acquirers, targets, special committees and private equity funds in significant transactions, including public and private acquisitions and divestitures, going-private transactions, auctions, joint ventures and cross-border transactions. Mr. Kegley also advises companies on securities law and corporate governance matters.
Significant representations include:
- Dynegy Inc. in its:
- stock-for-stock merger with Vistra Energy to create a combined company with an enterprise value greater than $20 billion;
- $3.3 billion acquisition of Engie’s U.S. fossil generation portfolio and Dynegy’s related $150 million sale of common stock to an affiliate of Energy Capital Partners;
- $480 million sale of two power plants to an affiliate of LS Power; and
- $180 million sale of one power plant to an affiliate of Rockland Capital;
- The Advisory Board Company in its $2.6 billion sale of its health care business to OptumInsight, Inc. and its education business to affiliates of Vista Equity Partners LLC in response to Elliott Management’s activist campaign;
- TECO Energy, Inc. in its $10.4 billion sale to Emera Inc;
- Sprint Nextel Corporation in its $21.6 billion sale of a 78 percent stake to Softbank Corporation and its acquisition of the shares of Clearwire Corporation it did not already own;
- Gannett Co., Inc. in its unsolicited proposed, but terminated, acquisition of tronc, Inc. and Gannett’s related withhold campaign against tronc’s director nominees;
- Helmerich & Payne, Inc. in its acquisition of Motive Drilling Technologies, Inc., a developer of directional drilling technology;
- Privilege Underwriters, Inc. in (i) its equity recapitalization with investments from funds managed by Stone Point Capital and Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. and the Privilege Underwriters, Inc. management team and (ii) XL Group plc’s minority investment in Privilege Underwriters, Inc.;
- FCT Health Holdings, LLC, a medical services company, in its acquisition of Hospice Compassus;
- JLL Partners, Inc. in its acquisition of a majority interest in Aviation Technical Services, Inc., a provider of maintenance, repair and overhaul services for the aviation and aerospace industry; and
- Amherst Holdings, LLC in the combination of its broker-dealer business, Amherst Securities Group L.P., with Pierpont Securities Holdings LLC.