Mr. Leofanti represents Canadian issuers and their investment banks in a wide variety of public and private equity and debt financings and other transactions, including IPOs, follow-on public offerings, financings under the U.S.-Canada Multijurisdictional Disclosure System (MJDS), at-the-market offerings, U.S. private placements (including venture capital financing rounds), Rule 144A and Regulation S offerings, restructurings, court-approved plans of arrangement and spin-offs.
Mr. Leofanti also advises Canadian issuers in connection with initial listings on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), the Nasdaq Stock Market (Nasdaq) and the NYSE American. He also assists Canadian companies with the review and preparation of public disclosures, and advises on continuous reporting and corporate governance requirements under the U.S. federal securities laws and the rules of the NYSE, Nasdaq and NYSE American.
Mr. Leofanti frequently lectures on cross-border securities law topics. He has been recognized as a leading lawyer by Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business for banking and finance (Canada) and capital markets: debt and equity (USA), The Best Lawyers in Canada for corporate law, Who’s Who Legal: Canada and Who’s Who Legal: Capital Markets. Mr. Leofanti also is a member of the Toronto Stock Exchange Listing Advisory Committee.
His experience includes having represented Canadian issuers or their investment banks in a wide range of industries, including transactions involving the following:
- Mining – Barrick, Cameco, Fortuna Silver, IAMGOLD, Leagold, MAG Silver, New Gold, Nexa, Noranda, NovaGold, Osisko, Pan American Silver, Platinum Group Metals, Pretium, Silver Standard, Tahoe Resources, Trilogy Metals, U.S. Gold, Wheaton Precious Metals and Yamana.
- Technology and Telecommunications – Shopify, Research In Motion (now BlackBerry), OpenText, Sierra Wireless, Descartes Systems Group, IMAX, Mitel, Changepoint, CrossKeys, Delano, EXFO, GT Group Telecom, Hummingbird Technologies, Photowatt, PointClickCare and Shaw Communications.
- Life Sciences – Correvio, CRH Medical, ESSA Pharma, Extendicare, ID Biomedical, MDS Proteomics, Neovasc, Nordion, NovaBay Pharma, Stressgen Biotechnologies, Valeant and Zymeworks.
- Oil & Gas and Other Natural Resources – Ainsworth Lumber, Agrium, Bellatrix Exploration, Canadian Phoenix, Duke Energy Income Fund, Gibson Energy, Husky Energy, MEG Energy, Nexen, Norbord, Potash Corporation (now Nutrien), Precision Drilling and Timberwest.
- Heavy Industry, Transportation, Utilities, Financial Services and Other – Aecon, Aeroplan, Air Canada, Alliance Atlantis, Aritzia, ATS Automation, Brookfield Asset Management, CAE, CIBC, CI Financial, Finning International, Gerdau Ameristeel, Hydro One, Intact Insurance, Methanex, Quebecor, RioCan, Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers, Russel Metals and Spin Master.