Christopher B. McKinley
Christopher B. McKinley focuses his practice on all aspects of patent law, including litigating high-value patent disputes. Mr. McKinley litigates cases in U.S. district courts and before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB), U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and abroad, and assists clients in corporate M&A and in acquiring patent portfolios.
Through his years of work in law and technology, Mr. McKinley has extensive experience in various technical fields, including medical devices, bicycle drivetrain and suspension systems, refrigeration systems, industrial shipping systems, trading and metadata cleaning software, and electric vehicle charging systems.
His pro bono efforts include representing disabled veterans on appeal before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims, low-income tenants in unlawful detainer suits in San Mateo County, California, victims of domestic abuse in restraining order proceedings in California state court and low-income inventors seeking patent protection before the USPTO.
His representative matters include:
- Fortinet, Inc. in successfully moving to dismiss a patent infringement lawsuit involving data compression technology brought by Realtime Data, LLC on Alice grounds;
- Frank Henry Equipment Ltd in successful offensive patent litigations against competitors involving oil and gas wellhead locking systems in U.S. district court and before the PTAB;
- Enel Green Power North America, Inc. in a corrected inventorship lawsuit involving multiple patents directed to electric vehicle charging systems;
- Intuitive Surgical, Inc. in an antitrust lawsuit against competitor Restore Robotics LLC involving the robotic da Vinci Surgical System; and
- PayPal Holdings, Inc. in its $4 billion acquisition of Honey Science Corporation.
- J.D., Santa Clara University School of Law, 2015
- B.S., Florida Atlantic University, 2006
- US Patent and Trademark Office